Tomorrow is April Fools Day, where there is usually hilarious fake news stories posted to amuse folks. Unfortunately 2017 seems to be a Fools Year, so I won’t be indulging too much in April Fools this year. Maybe they should just rename April 1st fake news first?
I suppose I could make some joke about the exploding house bubble causing folks to buy old shacks for over a million dollars, but who would believe that ?
Given the ho hum budget last week, the government seemed to want to end the first quarter of 2017 on a high note. Evidently they will be pushing forward with their marijuana legalization program. They are very high on this program, and hope it stops them from being stoned in the polls. Maybe this spring the grass will be greener on the other side of the bong? Let’s hope for some high times in the Canadian economy. Suddenly I want to eat a bag of all dressed chips.
You now have a month until your tax return is due, might be time to start thinking about doing something about it? The CRA is making it as easy as possible with their auto-fill capabilities too. Get the government to give it back.
My Writings for Week Ending March 31st
I went back and had a closer look at a specific part of the budget, and hoped I could encourage more folks to do their DTC (Disability Tax Credit) application themselves. I point out in DTC Change For The Better, that allowing Nurse Practitioners fill in the T2201 forms from the CRA is a step in the right direction, maybe now the government could try to make the process a little easier for folks?
A Money Thought
Mostly a money thought, since I tend to say that most of my great money decisions had a degree of blind luck involved in them (or having a horseshoe up my bum), but read Kerry’s opinion of those statements.
I asked my father-in-law to snail mail me an old horseshoe. And then I buried it. Blogged: https://t.co/T7zingTu8T
— Kerry K. Taylor (@squawkfox) March 29, 2017
Fake First News Not Found Here
In Ottawa, we may be getting buried under yet another snowstorm, but that won’t dampen our spirits (except for those that took their snow tires off early).
- Rob Carrick gives us an example of a cut-rate end of life experience, with Don’t get buried by funeral costs: This alternative cost just $1,573.35 , but how much would it cost if you donated your body to science ?
- The Blunt Bean Counter continues his analysis of the budget with a very useful article for folks like my daughter who is training to be a chiropractor, with : The Federal Budget – Where is the Incentive For Success and Entrepreneurship? There he explains the billing changes for professionals.
- Mark from My Own Advisor hits a topic I feel more folks need to be talking about, How to protect yourself online – fraud prevention for any day or month . The fraudsters are getting more and more tricky these days.
- We can Learn From Warren Buffett’s Diversification , but it might be easier just to buy BRK.A or BRK.B and let Mr. Buffett’s brain trust take care of it for us.
- Adam Sooley wants to help us out with our buying power with, Save $$$ on everyday expenses 2017 . Some interesting stuff there.
- A friend of Michael James’ who has a pension was wondering if he was somehow losing out on his pension, so MJ wrote about it : Pension Rip-off , is it a Rip-Off, you’ll have to read the whole thing to be sure.
CRA Approved Filing Software
So you are saying, “I don’t have any money to buy tax software“? Think again, the CRA has a video about that too.
2017 Random Thoughts
- Ho Hum Budget, Brackets Busted and #MoneyTalk (March 24th)
- Naughty Banks, March Madness, Big Snow and #MoneyTalk (March 17th)
- Teller Upselling, Auto-filling Taxes, Spring Forward and #MoneyTalk, (March 10th )
- Lent Begins, Loose Money and #MoneyTalk (March 3rd )
- RRSP Season, Tax Time, and #MoneyTalk (February 24th )
- Farewell Vinyl Café, Snow, Monopoly and #MoneyTalk (February 17th )
- RRSP , Tax , TFSA , RESP, and RDSP Time and #MoneyTalk (February 10th )
- Year of the Fire Rooster, Financial Groundhog Day and #MoneyTalk (February 3rd )
- Alternate Financial Facts, 1984 and #Moneytalk (January 27th)
- Bungled Mortgages, Friday the 13th and #Moneytalk (January 13th)
- Merry New Year, CPP, EI and #MoneyTalk (January 6th)