There are folks out there who do not realize it is Tax Time? Yes, it is that time of the year again, so just get it done. I already have my refund, why don’t you have yours?
Are you assuming that you can claim all of your dependants? Not if your dependant is called Fluffy or Rover. Get all the tax credits you are due, but make sure you are not gilding the lily on things either.
The bubble is starting in Ottawa, where housing prices are starting to pick up. There is talk of bidding wars and very quick sales, which is interesting to most, but I am not going anywhere. The biggest issue for me is where would I end up living if I sold the Big Cajun Hacienda? I suppose I could live down by the river in a van, but that is starting to get crowded too. There continues to be stories of Toronto LandlordsÂ raising rents, but they may end up killing the goose that lays the gold eggs. Doubling rents are only inviting the Provincial and Local Governments to bring in tighter rent controls.
Remember the important financial credo to live by:
Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered
Kind of a special Easter message, for those landlords trying to make it big.
Easter is coming folks, next week the week leading up to the big weekend. Another good time to start rethinking any financial plans you might have.
My Writings for Week Ending April 7th
I didn’t write anything this week, but I continue to clean up a lot of my older writing, and republishing them on social media. You should really be following me on Twitter, I am told I am a delight to read. I also tweet under my own name if you are curious as well (much more raw and rude commentary on life, technology, sports and my own odd humor). What kind of tweets might you see?
— Big Cajun Man (aw) (@bigcajunman) April 4, 2017
A Money Thought
Kerry is getting a little more out spoken in her tweets, but I am liking this side of her. She is showing a lot more moxy and some chutzpah too.
Some Fine Financial Easter Eggs
Spring seems to be coming to Ottawa, but first we must have our April showers, to get those May flowers.
- Vanguard asks (a little tongue in cheek) Could Index Investing get Too Big? I don’t think so, because there are so many smart folks who can beat the market, out there.
- A while ago, Preet wrote in the Globe about The rise of longer car loans, a major risk to household finances. How can anyone get a 7 year loan when buying a Corolla?
- Bombardier bonuses ‘utter stupidity,’ says Sprott portfolio manager in other news, the sun did rise this morning.
- Mark from My Own Advisor asks, Is Financial Independence Retire Early (FIRE) right for you? It might be.
- Million Dollar Journey, agrees with me about the budget with Federal Budget 2017 â€“ Much about Nothing.
- “As an introvert, the vast majority of conversations I’ve had have been imaginary
- If you are confident your bank’s online system is safe, you might want to read, How Hackers Hijacked a Bankâ€™s Entire Online Operation (in Brazil).
- Twenty years ago this week, the whole BRE-X Fraud broke, and countless Canadians, lost many millions of dollars. Every time you hear about a can’t miss stock tip, remember this. The next big stock market correction won’t matter if you invested like these folks did.
- Michael James, has a look at a few of the new wave of financial bloggers and their views on Managing Debt. Interesting review.
Canada’s Most Deranged Housing Market?
An interesting piece from the National (CBC Columnist Robyn Urback), talking about just how nuts the Toronto housing market has become.
2017 Random Thoughts
- April Fools, High on Life and #MoneyTalk (March 31st)
- Ho Hum Budget, Brackets Busted and #MoneyTalk (March 24th)
- Naughty Banks, March Madness, Big Snow and #MoneyTalk (March 17th)
- Teller Upselling, Auto-filling Taxes, Spring Forward and #MoneyTalk, (March 10th )
- Lent Begins, Loose Money and #MoneyTalk (March 3rd )
- RRSP Season, Tax Time, and #MoneyTalk (February 24th )
- Farewell Vinyl CafÃ©, Snow, Monopoly and #MoneyTalk (February 17th )
- RRSP , Tax , TFSA , RESP, and RDSP Time and #MoneyTalk (February 10th )
- Year of the Fire Rooster, Financial Groundhog Day and #MoneyTalk (February 3rd )
- Alternate Financial Facts, 1984 and #Moneytalk (January 27th)
- Bungled Mortgages, Friday the 13th and #Moneytalk (January 13th)
- Merry New Year, CPP, EI and #MoneyTalk (January 6th)