Christmas is finally here, and we can then unleash the orgy of spending known as Boxing Day/Week/Month! The sales will start on Christmas Eve, and will continue until there is no snow on the ground. Boxing Day sales used to be interesting, when I got money for Christmas, but now, they bore me. Luckily inflation is here as well!
When did giving a car for Christmas become a thing? One year we got a Vic-20 and I thought that was a huge extravagance. I was planning on giving everyone a Bitcoin, but that got a little out of hand a bit too quick.
Winter is here, to quote Game of Thrones. Days will start getting longer in the Norther Hemisphere but still look for the Debt White Walkers, Rising Dragon-fire Interest rates and the Foreclosure Wildlings, which are now loose.
Did you buy bread at Loblaws or those associated stores? They want to pay you $25 because they gouged you by price fixing. Loblawcard.ca is the place to go and register to get your card. I will be donating mine to my local foodbank.
Guess What? Inflation is back on the table. The Consumer Price Index is back at 2.1%, with transportation dragging the index up for November.
I bet you are asking, what part of the transportation index contributed the most?
The gasoline index contributed the most to the rise in the CPI in every province except for Newfoundland and Labrador, where a lower gasoline price increase was partly attributable to a reduction in the province’s gasoline tax which took effect in June 2017.
Remember how gas was cheap a while ago? Here is confirmation that yes, it is back up for the Holidays! (not that I would be implying price-fixing in Gas prices either).
My Recent Writings
The past few weeks I have spoken with a few folks, and answered some email from people who are getting very discouraged about the DTC policy changes (apparently) at the CRA. With this in mind I wrote Apply for the DTC Please as a reminder that if you don’t apply you will never get the Disability Tax Credit.
Also, at the end of this post is something most of my readers have been waiting for, my top 3 Christmas Music Songs of all time. Yes, I do have a soft Christmassy side too.
Micro Blogging on Finance
Here is a social media post that has Bitcoins, Bankruptcy and if you click the link you have to use Google Translate to read it! That is a festive Tweet in my books.
2018: The year of a Bankruptcy caused by Bitcoin?
(Could also be the year of the Real Estate caused bankruptcy, but that's not as click-baity).https://t.co/wK64NemrkJ pic.twitter.com/kwtuNlHJMz
— Doug Hoyes (@doughoyes) December 20, 2017
Christmas is Here🎄
Do you have all the things you need? Do you have any money left? Better stop soon!
- Glad to see the Cards against humanity folks paying it back as outlined in, ‘Cards Against Humanity’ Sends Checks To Their Lowest-Earning Customers And It’s Bringing Attention To Wealth Inequality. Remember to give to Charity over the holidays too.
- Robb at Boomer and Echo must have a Doctorate on Click-Bait titles, I had to read Save More Tomorrow: The Procrastinator’s Guide To Saving Money just on the basis on the title. Then he writes a great article, c’mon! Give me a chance! I need to up my game.
- A while ago Dan Bortolotti wrote about A better way to generate retirement income in Moneysense a really good article for anyone thinking of retiring.
- Still thinking about Whole Life Insurance ? The Blunt Bean Counter gives us part 2 of his discussions about the relative worth of this insurance product.
- Glad to see that my iPhone 5 is running like a sloth for a good reason, Apple is making it slow. Apple confirmed a longtime conspiracy theory — and gave regular customers a big reason to distrust it .
I present to you my three favorite Christmas tunes, for your holiday enjoyment
Number 3 is the Foo Fighters Mega-mix from SNL
Number 2 is Wizzard’s I wish it could be Christmas Every Day.
Number 1 is of Course Slade and Merry Christmas Everybody
End of 2017 Random Thoughts
- Canadians Owe More , Polar Temps, CPP Survivor Benefits and #MoneyTalk (December 15th)
- DTC Changes, Christmas Present Ideas, Fraud and #MoneyTalk (December 8th)
- Unlocking Phones, Raiding Parents’ RRSP, Household Debt and #Moneytalk (December 1st)
- What is your price, Black Friday, Phoenix and #MoneyTalk (November 24th)
- We Shall Remember, Paradise Papers, Tax Cheats and #MoneyTalk #FLM2017 (November 10th)
- Fall Back, Farewell PC Financial, and #MoneyTalk #FLM2017 (November 3rd)
- Mortgage Tests, Thanks Gord and Bombardier and #Moneytalk (October 20th)
- Halifax Ikea, New Tax Plans, Pumpkin Spice ETFs and #MoneyTalk (September 29th)
3rd Quarter Random Thoughts
- Summers end, Taxes, Doomsday Insurance, Uber and #MoneyTalk (September 15th)
- Rates Up Trend, Summer Holidays, High Gas and #Moneytalk (September 8th)
- Farewell PC Financial, Summer Holidays, Bat Guano and #MoneyTalk (August 18th)
- Paying Children to Move out, Sears, and #MoneyTalk (July 28th)
- Rate Reactions, Mortgage Double Ups, Bad Cycling and #MoneyTalk (July 21st)
- Keep Calm and Pay Off Your Debt and #MoneyTalk (July 14th)
2nd Quarter Random Thoughts
- #Canada150, B of C Rates, and #MoneyTalk (June 30th)
- Donuts, Graduations, Summertime and #MoneyTalk #Canada150 (June 23rd)
- Bank Profits, Loose Money, Used House Salesfolk and #MoneyTalk (May 26th)
- Avocado Toast, Victoria Day, Ransomware and #Moneytalk (May 19th)
- RDSP, DTCs, Mother’s Day and #MoneyTalk (May 12th)
- Thanks Prince Phil, More Old Than Young and #MoneyTalk (May 5th)
- MLM, Balanced Budgets, and #Moneytalk (April 28th)
- Overheated Housing Market, Rent Controls and #MoneyTalk (April 21st)
- Ladies on Panels, Good Friday, Friendly Skies, Loose Money and #MoneyTalk (April 14th)
- Tax Time, Housing Bubbles, Financial Easter and #MoneyTalk (April 7th)
My RSS feed is available.