Canada turns 150 tomorrow, and the City of Ottawa has put out its best for folks to celebrate. Should be interesting, I vaguely remember 1967, and I hope I am around for 2067 guess I should really push out the boat on this one.
My family, immigrated to Canada, and I am so thankful that they did. While I respect and love the land of my parents (Wales & Britain), Canada is my home, and it will always be with me.
The Bank of Canada Governor is saying he thinks low-interest rates have “done their job”, however:
“… certainly we need to be at least considering that whole situation now that the capacity excess capacity is being used up steadily.”
Sounds a lot like someone contemplating a rate increase soon. Might be time to get out of debt ? Debt is a four letter word , after all.
Yes, the first 1/2 of the final season of Game of Thrones starts soon too. Rising rates will bring financial winter for some folks.
Writings This Week
I have been working on RESPs and High Fee Mutual Funds for a while. It has languished, but I was able to figure out what I was trying to say (I think). Just because it is easier to use a Bank Mutual Fund account for your kids’ RESP accounts, doesn’t mean you should use it. If you ever hear someone from a Mutual Fund firm brag about how high their fees are, please drop me a line.
Expo 67 Greatest Show Ever
Do you remember Expo 67? Bobby Gimby ? If you lived in Montreal this song makes you cringe, because it played on a permanent loop for a year. Was it the Greatest Show Ever ?
From Expo 67 – Canada (The Centennial Song)#MeanwhileInCanada #cdnpoli #Canada150 pic.twitter.com/q6cwH9QEXu
— Meanwhile in Canada (@MeanwhileinCana) June 23, 2017
Doesn’t Look a Day over 125
Canada 150 is this weekend, and Ottawa is mayhem in terms of parking, and getting anywhere. Good luck to all tourists who might want to get here.
- Kerry from Squawkfox asks, Can you afford to buy a home? Maybe more specifically can you afford a home in Toronto, but lots of good info from one of our favorite Big Smoke Financial Voice.
- Barry from Money We Have, tells about Why I Don’t Bother with Extended Warranty , I usually don’t get them either, but I do sometimes.
- What are the The Real Reasons Why You Are in Debt ? Mark from My Own Advisor tries to elaborate on how you got to this point.
- FCAC put out a piece on Pay Day Loans, which caused a response from many Financial Folk, but Michael James’ response in his article, Pay Day Loan Information , sums up the FCAC article’s shortcomings.
Do You Remember 1967
More specifically do you remember Expo 67 ? Pathe brings us their film short about the Greatest World Exposition. It always sounds better with an English Accent.
2017 Random Thoughts
- Donuts, Graduations, Summertime and #MoneyTalk #Canada150 (June 23rd)
- Bank Profits, Loose Money, Used House Salesfolk and #MoneyTalk (May 26th)
- Avocado Toast, Victoria Day, Ransomware and #Moneytalk (May 19th)
- RDSP, DTCs, Mother’s Day and #MoneyTalk (May 12th)
- Thanks Prince Phil, More Old Than Young and #MoneyTalk (May 5th)
- MLM, Balanced Budgets, and #Moneytalk (April 28th)
- Overheated Housing Market, Rent Controls and #MoneyTalk (April 21st)
- Ladies on Panels, Good Friday, Friendly Skies, Loose Money and #MoneyTalk (April 14th)
- Tax Time, Housing Bubbles, Financial Easter and #MoneyTalk (April 7th)
1st Quarter 2017 Random Thoughts
- April Fools, High on Life and #MoneyTalk (March 31st)
- Ho Hum Budget, Brackets Busted and #MoneyTalk (March 24th)
- Naughty Banks, March Madness, Big Snow and #MoneyTalk (March 17th)
- Teller Upselling, Auto-filling Taxes, Spring Forward and #MoneyTalk, (March 10th )
- Lent Begins, Loose Money and #MoneyTalk (March 3rd )
- RRSP Season, Tax Time, and #MoneyTalk (February 24th )
- Farewell Vinyl Café, Snow, Monopoly and #MoneyTalk (February 17th )
- RRSP , Tax , TFSA , RESP, and RDSP Time and #MoneyTalk (February 10th )
- Year of the Fire Rooster, Financial Groundhog Day and #MoneyTalk (February 3rd )
- Alternate Financial Facts, 1984 and #Moneytalk (January 27th)
- Bungled Mortgages, Friday the 13th and #Moneytalk (January 13th)
- Merry New Year, CPP, EI and #MoneyTalk (January 6th)
My RSS feed is available. I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well.