Interest rates continue to stay at 1.25% for the overnight rate, and I suspect the way the economy is going we won’t see another rate hike for a little while. Their own statement seems to imply, they are not really sure where things might be going in the next little while.
Inflation is running close to the 2 per cent target and the Bank’s core measures of inflation have edged up, consistent with an economy operating near capacity. Wage growth has firmed, but remains lower than would be typical in an economy with no labour market slack. Inflation is fluctuating because of temporary factors related to gasoline, electricity, and minimum wages
This seems to point a wagging finger at Ontario’s minimum wage increase, but asks why aren’t wages normally going up given how few unemployed folks are out there? We seem to live in interesting economic times.
Belated Happy International Women’s Day! As the father of 3 wonderful women, and the proud son of a trailblazing woman (my mother had a Statistics Degree in 1951, which was a rarity), I stand in awe. Do we have wage parity? Nope. Do we have gender equality? Nope. I think we still have a lot of work to do.
It is not only Tax Season again, but it is that weekend when the clocks go forward (in most places in Canada and the US). There is talk of sticking with Daylight Savings Time, we shall see where that might leads, but if you won’t put your clocks forward you will be late all day Sunday.
My Recent Writings
Luckily I got something interesting in the mail to write about this week, with RDSP Statement of Grant Entitlement . Once you have gotten through the DTC maze, set up an RDSP and started putting money in it for your loved one, this is the most important document you will receive every year (aside from any reassessment notices from the CRA of course).
Micro Blogging on Finance
If you somehow think that the Government is going to escape the Phoenix Pay system debacle unscathed, I don’t think the media in Ottawa is going to allow that to happen.
— Ottawa Sun (@ottawasuncom) March 6, 2018
Anniversaries and Such
March is a busy month in my family for birthdays and for the anniversary of this very web site too. Stay tuned, I might even celebrate that this year.
- I think I’d be freaking out too if I owned one of these, Amazon Echoes Are Laughing Spontaneously And It’s Freaking People Out. Technology laughing is bad enough, but when it does it spontaneously, it makes me wonder, what does it know that I do not?
- Would you like a good perspective on the latest Federal Budget? As usual the place to read is the Blunt Bean Counter’s 2018 Federal Budget , but when it start talking about root canals as a preface, it made me quite nervous.
- Robb E. over at Boomer & Echo brings us an interesting analysis in Engineering A Better Outcome For Investors. What does a Hotel Restaurant Menu have to do with investing? You’ll have to read to find out, won’t you?
- I threw up in my mouth when I read Here’s a budget breakdown of a couple that makes $500,000 a year and still feels average. Give me that income, PLEASE! If you make this much money, how is it possible that you have to budget to make ends meet?
- It is tax season, make sure you get all of the forms you need to get your taxes done. You can always check the CRA web site to see what info they may have on-line for you.
- Ontario banning door-to-door sales of some goods as of March 1 just makes me smile, except I keep seeing folks wandering around and knocking on doors.
- Media Maven Preet has a new Podcast with 63: Cait Flanders and “The Year of Less” . I am hoping for a year of more, but I do get Cait’s angle on this.
That Time Again
Rick Mercer really does capture the nuances of the tax season with this one from the archives.
The New 2018 Random Thoughts
- Budgets, Phoenix Death, Inflation and #MoneyTalk (March 2nd)
- Potholes, Tuition Increases, and #MoneyTalk (February 23rd)
- RRSP, Lent, Happy Year of the Dog and #MoneyTalk (February 16th)
- Roller Coaster Markets , Olympics and #Moneytalk (February 9th)
- Superb Owls, RDSP Deposit and #MoneyTalk (February 2nd)
- OHIP Overload, Doomsday minus 2 minutes, and #MoneyTalk (January 26th)
- Tighter Money, Best Investment, Go North! and #MoneyTalk (January 19th)
- Paper Delivery, Bitcoin and #MoneyTalk (January 12th)
- Polar Vortexes, Minimum Wage and #MoneyTalk (January 4th)
End of 2017 Random Thoughts
- Winter, Inflation and Christmas are Here and #Moneytalk (December 22nd)
- Canadians Owe More , Polar Temps, CPP Survivor Benefits and #MoneyTalk (December 15th)
- DTC Changes, Christmas Present Ideas, Fraud and #MoneyTalk (December 8th)
- Unlocking Phones, Raiding Parents’ RRSP, Household Debt and #Moneytalk (December 1st)
My RSS feed is available.