CRA Child Disability Benefit (How To)

As a way of paying it forward for all the help the Blunt Bean Counter (BBC) gave me for setting up my son’s Disability Tax Credit for School Fees, I think the best place to start is a quick How To (or more of a How I, not sure your situation will work exactly like mine) setting up a Child Disability Benefit with the CRA. This is the first important financial thing you must do if you have a disabled child. I will attempt to point to all the relevant parts of the CRA web site, but remember, you can call the CRA (OK February may not be the best time to call, but call anyhow) and ask for clarification or help on how to do this.

First thing is, if you have a child with a disability, you must take advantage of all the help you can from the Government (at all levels) and all the programs you can get.  We were quite lucky when our son was diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum that  the Psychologist at OCTC (Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre)  at CHEO (The Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario) filled out all our CRA forms for us (they even provided them).  We also were assigned  a social worker to speak to us and she had an entire list of things for us to do, now that we had an actual diagnosis about Rhys (our son).

At the time I was having a very hard time coming to grips with the diagnosis, and giving my brain something tangible to do, helped me move forward to help our son. One day Mrs. C8j may write her perspectives on this, but for me just having a list of things to do made it easier to cope (in some ways).

So to sum up, the first thing for this Disability Benefits, you must get a diagnosis from an accredited professional (for that disability).

I will quote the CRA web site on this just for clarity sake:

Not all children with disabilities are eligible for the disability amount. To be eligible a child must have a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions. An impairment is prolonged if it has lasted, or is expected to last, for a continuous period of at least 12 months

In a great many cases, a child’s disability is obvious, and there should be no issue with getting this disability benefit, however, in the case of the Autism Spectrum and other developmental disabilities, whether you get this benefit relies heavily on the documentation supplied by the diagnosing professional. The CRA can refuse your request for the Child Disability Benefit if your documentation is not to their liking, so make sure the diagnosing professional has filled in the forms before (and knows what needs to be said in the documentation).

Second you need to get the professional to fill in a T2201 Disability Tax Credit Certificate  for your child. If your Doctor or other professional says, “I have never done this before” or “I don’t have very good luck with these”, I would strongly suggest you find a Doctor or Hospital that does have experience with this (CHEO in Ottawa, Sick Kids in Toronto, The Children’s Hospital in Montreal as a few examples). These folks know the correct phraseology needed to help you out. Nothing can be more frustrating than not getting benefits you deserve because of the writing shortcomings on a form.

Attempting to claim the Disability Benefit without a T2201 will fail, it must be filled in first! The Psychologist at OCTC knew the correct terms to use for our form, so our claim was accepted, for 10 years, however when Rhys turns 15 we will have to reapply for the Disability Benefit, to remain Disabled (in the eyes of the CRA).

After you have the T2201, you can now start applying for the Child Disability Benefits, by filling out RC66 – Canada Child Benefits Application Form. The form is relatively straight forward to fill in, and wasn’t hard for my wife and myself, but there was an added wrinkle suggested by the OCTC Social Worker.

Since our son was being diagnosed at age 3, we also applied to have the diagnosis and thus the benefit retroactive to my son’s birth. This means we actually applied to get the benefit ongoing, but also for the previous 3 years of my son’s life. OCTC gave us a template letter to fill in asking for this, to be included with the T2201, and RC66 application forms (remember to send ORIGINALS, the CRA will ignore photocopied T2201 forms, as they state on their site, this is important).

The letter we included was quite simple, and if I can find the example, I will make it available on this site, however, it was a simple statement of my son’s birth date, the fact that his diagnosis of Autism is a neurological disorder and that it was present as of birth.

Once you have finally compiled all of this information, you then can mail it into the CRA for their approval. As I stated, there are no guarantees here, but as long as you have followed all of the steps and have a well written set of documents you should be OK (in our case the diagnosis was accepted, but I have heard of other cases where the diagnosis was not accepted).

Hope this helps those parents with disabled kids, if you think there is a mistake here or a step I have missed, please comment (I am not saying this is an exhaustive set of steps, just what we went through with our son).

If your diagnosis is accepted the next step is to start looking for Medical and Disability related Tax implications (to be covered in a later post).

• Shirley November 7, 2014, 8:35 AM

We are on ODSP for my boyfriend health. I have not worked in over a year do to my own health. When I worked I made less then $10,000.00 a year. BUT I did put in for T2201 for my daughter ADHD and other stuff she is 12 years old. We do out taxes together so they will see the ODSP stuff. I never owned on my taxes. But I hoping for the other part that they add on too the baby bonus. Do you know anything of that.

• bigcajunman November 7, 2014, 9:13 AM

Not sure, I am ineligible for this, you might want to check with the CRA on that.

• Shannon November 6, 2014, 7:00 PM

I have recently applied for the DTC for my son who has ASD. It has been over a month since they received the paperwork and request to have it dated to 2007. All that it says on my online account is that that they are working on processing the information for my son (Dependant 1). When I call, the CRA agents just say that I have to keep checking online. They wont give me any more information than that. What is the average wait time for the DTC to be approved or denied?
    Thanks.

• bigcajunman November 6, 2014, 7:49 PM

Each case is different, usually 6-8 weeks is about right, but the CRA is correct, just keep checking on line (and then more likely you’ll get a letter in the regular mail with the results before it shows up on line). Good Luck!

• Shirley November 6, 2014, 5:11 AM

My daughter has ADHD , short term memory loss and has learning problems. We took her too a child psychologist at the age of 4. She said that my daughter ADHD was really high. BUT my GP is the one that filled out the forms the T2201. He still has the paper work from then from the child psychologist. I wonder should I mail that paper too them. My daughter is now 12 years old. She is grade 7, but her math and reading are at a grade 4. The school has a signed a computer that will go with her all the way thought school. Should I send the stuff that the school gave me about her.

• bigcajunman November 6, 2014, 5:29 AM

I believe the CRA will read the T2201 only, you can send supporting documents, but not sure if they will use them or not. Don’t send originals, but more supporting documents couldn’t hurt, as long as they support the diagnosis. Good luck.

• Shirley November 5, 2014, 6:52 PM

My daughter has ADHD and has learning problems. I just sent in my form about a mouth or so ago. The doctor sent his just over a week ago. I hope too have it cleared up by Christmas. We where told when she was 4 years old that she was ADHD and she is now 12 years old. I hope they say yes.

• Ron Malis October 26, 2014, 12:09 PM

Good article on the Disability Tax Credit Certificate. You make excellent points. There are many people with disabilities that fall into what I call the grey zone. The nature of their disability doesn’t readily or obviously qualify for the DTC and their medical practitioner doesn’t have much experience in filling out the application. For those whose initial application is rejected, don’t give up so quickly. Appeal the decision and this is where you may want to get some assistance from somebody who understands the appeal process. There are agencies that do help with this process but you do need to be careful selecting an agency that really does have experience with appeals and is fair with their costs.

• jari October 9, 2014, 10:53 PM

I recently filed for the disability for my 14 month old daughter. I hope she qualifies. She has a rare heart defect and is currently ng tube fed and will have surgery for a g tube. She need this to get her proper calories. She is also delayed. She is not crawling yet. But mentally she is good. How.long does it take to know if she is approved and is there a # to Contact them? Thank you

• Momof3kiddos August 17, 2014, 9:15 PM

Our son who is diagnosed with combined type ADHD and ODD was approved for the DTC but from 2013 as this is the year the doctor put on the form for when he was diagnosed. He was born in 2009. Am I able to do something to recieve retroactive benefits to 2009?

• bigcajunman August 18, 2014, 5:34 AM

I am not sure, with conditions like Autism it is viewed as a brain stem injury from birth, so it is deemed to have been there since birth. I would check with your doctor on this, and if he (or she) does not know, then check with the CRA on their interpretation of ADHD and ODD and whether it is a condition that they view “from birth”.

• chantha August 15, 2014, 8:48 AM

got a letter from cra yesterday sayin they have completed the dtc for 10 years .they will send assessement amount separatelyand the caregive amount have sent to anther department. do u know when I will recive the cheque?

• bigcajunman August 15, 2014, 1:21 PM

Couldn’t tell you, but soon(er) would be my guess if you have received a positive statement on it.

• chantha August 14, 2014, 11:37 AM

if I would claim dtc for 10 years how much refund do I get back from cra

• bigcajunman August 14, 2014, 11:49 AM

That depends on how much you made at the time (I would think).

• Karine August 12, 2014, 6:45 PM

I recently filled out that form. The psychologist filled out what she could and wrote a nice letter to attach. Their pediatrician filled out the rest and I recently called to see if they had received my application and they said their decision was delayed because of what the pediatrician wrote. I think it’s because she only ticked three boxes? My twins both have autism and I’m worried I won’t get approved. Such stress :(
    What absolutely needs to be filled out for it to be approved?

• bigcajunman August 12, 2014, 8:16 PM

The form we filled in didn’t have any boxes, so I am not sure. It takes a while for this to go through, but keep thinking good thoughts on this, I have my fingers crossed for you too!

• chantha August 12, 2014, 8:51 AM

dtc been approved for 10 years.apply since feb2014 still didn’t get money yet.last letter from cra was quisionair ask if I reasidewith my mom,buy food,clothes,pay rent.how long will take cra to finalize this letter?is this the last step.have a friend apply for 3 years didn’t get this kind of letter from cra why me?

• bigcajunman August 12, 2014, 9:36 AM

Get someone to call the CRA for you, or see if you can set up an account on line with them to ask them questions too.

How long will it take? Everyone is different, some folks are faster than others. If you have a DTC it shouldn’t be a big issue, but I would call the CRA help line folks and see if they can help, good luck on this, keep us posted.

• Neil Martin August 1, 2014, 1:28 PM

My son turned 18 this year. He has ADHD, Autism and has qualified for the DTC since 2002. According to “My Account” on the CRA website, my ability to claim the DTC ends this year. He will have income in 2014 thanks to a family trust and will be going to college this fall. I expect him to file a tax return for the first time and claim the DTC on his own.
    My question is, does he need to apply for a new DTC starting for 2015? Diagnosis is both time consuming and costly and nothing has changed. I don’t know where on the CRA website to find this information. Please help / guide me.
    Thanks,
    Neil Martin

• bigcajunman August 1, 2014, 2:36 PM

As I usually preface these, you should call the CRA for a clarification about this, and my opinion is that yes, he will need a new Diagnosis, or have someone sign off on it. Maybe you can find the Doctor who did the original diagnosis, and have him extend it? Barring that you may need to get this in place for the coming tax year, here is hoping it is a shorter less painful Diagnosis (time wise and money wise).

• Shauna June 25, 2014, 3:23 PM

You made reference to “start looking for Medical and Disability related Tax implications (to be covered in a later post).” – but I can’t find that “later post”. Can you please provide a link to it?

• Stacey June 20, 2014, 6:18 PM

Hi
    My son recently was approved for the child disability tax credit with Aspergers but since then my daughter was referred to a pedetrician specialist where she has also been diagnosed with OCD, and High anxiety. Everyday life is a battle….. from what I’m hearing people seem to have a hard time with this diagnosis being approved has anyone had any luck or am I just wasting my time. They would like her to do therapy and its expensive.

• bigcajunman June 20, 2014, 6:37 PM

Yes, I have heard a lot of folks have had issues getting a Disability Tag with OCD, all I can suggest is talking to your pediatrician, filling the forms in and seeing if anyone else has had success and what they did to succeed. Anybody reading this, please chime in!

• Laura Robinson May 4, 2014, 10:52 AM

Thank you for all this great information. My 20 yr old daughter has CP-right sided hemiplegic.(Medical diagnosis since 2) We want to set up a RDSP for her. Years ago we were told she was not disabled enough to qualify, since she can walk with a limp. Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

• bigcajunman May 4, 2014, 12:28 PM

You will need the Diagnosis OK’ed by the CRA first, I would assume your doctor could do this for you. Get the CRA to OK it, get the date of when the condition started on the diagnosis, fill in the T2201 forms as well. Once that is OK’ed, take the tax credits, and the CRA statement of disability approval to the bank (or wherever) then open the RDSP for her. Start with your Doctor, and if you have problems talk to the CRA help line on this too.

• Ann May 1, 2014, 8:44 PM

Hi, My child was approved starting from 2007, and I realized that CRA updated my cctb owing but only for approximately 3 years (4 year less). Do they do the updates in two installments? Also I was told that I should write to the CRA to back date my taxes but I just wanted to know if there was anything important that I should include in the letter

• bigcajunman May 2, 2014, 5:30 AM

Mine arrived in two installments, you could phone the CRA help line or check on line whether more is coming. Yes it is a simple letter with your Social Insurance Number, Identify the years you wish to be revisited, give the reason why (i.e. CRA has already approved the disability credit, but injury was from birth) and it couldn’t hurt to include the supporting documentation

• Ann May 2, 2014, 7:25 AM

Thank you for your prompt response. Your information is greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work!

• Ann May 2, 2014, 1:59 PM

Thank you for your prompt response. I was told I have to write a letter requesting this. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing your information.

• E April 16, 2014, 3:05 PM

My baby born on 2013 summer, and has been diagnosed as “motor development delay ” when he was 2 month old , the local infant development program is in, however, we never get a diagnose yet…It may has something to do during my labor ..lack of oxygen.

The pedi just say – lets wait for more symptom, and our next app is in next 6 month ! he will be 14 month by then …… We didn’t get a MRI yet.

I am not sure whom should I spoke to in order to get more assistance.

If this case qualify for any benefit from CRA ?

• bigcajunman April 16, 2014, 5:33 PM

You need to get your Doctor to make the diagnosis, but if they do, don’t worry it can be back-dated (you would get benefits from birth, if the diagnosis allows for it). If you live in a larger city, maybe see if you can find an appointment with another Paediatrician to see if you can get a second opinion. You must get a diagnosis from a Doctor first, then you can get the Doctor to fill in the forms for the CRA.

• trouble73 April 26, 2014, 1:34 AM

Was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I have a daughter who was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive subtype as well as Mild Intellectual Disorder. I applied for the disability tax benefit as well as the Children’s Disability Benefit. We were approved and all adjustments and retroactive payments have been received dating back to her birth. I have a son who was diagnosed with ADHD Disruptive Behaviour Disorder with Oppositional and Attentional Features as well as Conduct Disorder back in 2008. At that time, the diagnosing physician gave me tax forms but I didnt clearly understand what they were for and never bothered filing those with my return. With the recent diagnosis of his sister, and my now full understanding of the tax benefits surrounding their disabilities, he is applying for the Disability Tax Credit for himself as he is now 21. He is currently a student. My question is this… if and when he is approved through CCRA for the disability tax credit, can I apply for the Children’s Disability Benefit for the years that I should have received when I should have applied way back when even though he is now over 18 and no longer eligible under the CTB program?

• bigcajunman April 26, 2014, 5:53 AM

I don’t know, that sounds like a question for the CRA. You could always just apply for it and see what happens, or you could wait until the Tax deadline and call the CRA after that (I would bet their phone in lines are jammed about now). If you have the old tax forms that should help, although you might need a corroborating note from the original physician backing up the original diagnosis? I would check with the CRA first.

• Nickle0 March 28, 2014, 8:41 AM

How long can one continue to transfer the Disability Tax Credit. Disabled son still living at home, receives Social Assistance and holds a part-time job.

• Lindsey March 21, 2014, 5:14 PM

I’m not sure if anyone else has looked up the lists of DTC amounts to claim for previous years & blindly submitted like I did so I wanted to mention the supplement of $4490 that you need to add to that amount! For some reason the CRA automatically reassessed years 2003-2010 but didn’t reassess 2011-2013, so I submitted my request online. I pulled the amounts off a website (2011 $7341, 2012 $7546, etc.) but when the reassessments from previous years came in the mail I noticed the amounts were significantly higher than those I had submitted for the recent years. That’s when I found out there is a supplement of $4490 for anyone under 18 you’re claiming the DTC for. I believe there is also a Family Caregiver amount of $2040? I requested another reassessment with the revised amounts. I was a bit surprised they didn’t adjust the amount on their end to correct it, but that’s probably asking a lot, especially being the busiest time of year for them. For anyone just starting, or considering starting, an application for T2201 I have to say the folks at CRA have been very patient, kind and helpful through the entire process.

• Venkat Ganapathy March 11, 2014, 1:37 PM

My daughter born premature has DTC approved by CRA and valid till 2015. Her food is pediasure milk fed overnight thru feeding machine. She thrives on this and we have Pediatrician’s supporting letter etc. I spend around 2000 $ every year. Can i claim this as Medical expense (i know it is not prescription drug but my kid lives on this milk and our doctor supports with letter etc) Pls help

• bigcajunman March 11, 2014, 2:56 PM

I would phone the CRA and ask them, it sounds like it should, but you need to get confirmation from the CRA before you claim it, OR, you can do an addendum to your taxes once you have submitted them asking if these can be included in the Medical expenses and the CRA will then approve (or disapprove) and adjust your taxes then (which is what we did for my son’s school fees). I would call the CRA first.

• Venkat Ganapathy March 12, 2014, 11:22 AM

Thanks bigcajunman.

• bigcajunman March 12, 2014, 12:26 PM

Keep me posted on your progress, if I can help in any other way, shout out.

• Lindsey February 18, 2014, 3:05 PM

Update to my November 29 post, we received the initial amount from the CDB in January with the second portion arriving this week. However, I just received a letter telling me there has been a delay in processing my tax credit as they need the amounts I paid for childcare for the years 2003-2005. I don’t have those receipts and since I was claiming childcare for 2 kids during those years I have no idea which portion was her childcare and which was her brother’s. This amount affects the amount you get back so I don’t want to guess – and I REALLY don’t want to guess and be audited! So what to do? I thought we only had to keep tax receipts for 6-7 years… Not 10. Sigh!

• bigcajunman February 18, 2014, 4:40 PM

Keep thinking positive, maybe you can find them, who knows? You are in my prayers on this one.

• woreout January 13, 2014, 11:43 AM

I just found your blog and lots of great info on here. I applied for my granddaughter for this disability credit. I knew nothing about it and found out through a family friend who is receiving it for her grandson .( he is off now because of age) Also when i started asking around about it i found out a family member is getting it for their children.
    Anyway off i went and applied for it since up till now i have been paying out of pocket for speech therapy for my granddaughter and it is expensive.
    I was shocked to see what the qualifications are to get this credit since both these people that i know that were getting it have children with alcohol syndrome but their children seem fine besides some behavioral issues. I am not sure how they managed to get this credit.
    This credit was meant for children like my granddaughter for sure who have severe issues with speech, learning , feeding herself , and motor skills.
    Anyway my doctor sent of the papers and i got a letter saying they wanted more info. This was after four months of waiting. The info they wanted was just repeat questions of the same info we had already sent them and even my doctor said it did not make sense. I ended up calling my local mp and complaining since it upset me because in the meantime my granddaughter is falling further behind because i can no longer afford all the private help. They said they would step forward and help me if the second application was not approved. I also called the tax disability and told them i had spoke to my mp and i was not impressed at the wait time.
    Anyway i was just approved a week ago so now i am wondering what kind of wait it will be till i see any money from them. I also had to send in a letter asking for them to give me this credit after i was approved and for the years that she qualified for.
    Does anyone know how long it takes to receive any money after the first process?

Also i just wanted to tell all those people out there that might have been not approved to maybe get their mp involved. This credit was meant for kids with disabilities that are severe and it upsets me that people with children with severe disabilities are being denied yet some people with children that should not be approved are flying through the process..?
    They did not have this credit when my children were little so i had never heard of it until this year. Sad because my eight year old granddaughter could have used it for the extra help .

• bigcajunman January 13, 2014, 11:51 AM

Well put, thanks for the update!

• Mike moddey February 8, 2014, 8:04 PM

To most, the DTC is thought to be something for people who are seriously disabled, but it helps many people offset out of pocket costs for other conditions that do not obviously impair somebody, in my case type 1 diabetes. Under CRA guidelines, I do qualify for 14 hours per week of life sustaining therapy, as insulin is required to sustain life. My doc estimated we spend 20 hours per week. The CRA is a pain to deal with, they take months do do the simplest things. it was 2 months ago i wrote in for retroactive re-assessment of my taxes to apply the DTC, and still no word.

• bigcajunman February 9, 2014, 5:58 AM

The wheels of the CRA turn slowly, I agree, let us hope all will turn out well for you. The Tax Credit is an important way the government can make sure all disabled folk get the help they need.

• Merza December 21, 2013, 10:09 AM

Hi
    I was diagnosed by my family doctor with “osteoarthritis” in 2009. I have this problem in my both knees, and in lower back. Although , I was suffering from this problem since 2005 but doctors couldn’t diagnosed it and keep on prescribing Advil/Tylenol.
    Because of Arthritis, I am not able to perform my job with full capacity and I feel pain in my body(as my job involves lots of walking, bending) when I come back to home. Do I qualify for DTC?
    Waiting for your response.
    Thanks.

• bigcajunman December 21, 2013, 10:37 AM

You will need to get a Doctor to certify your disability I would talk to them first and see if they will help fill the CRA tax forms for this.

• Tamara January 28, 2014, 5:02 PM

@Woreout, what results did you get by calling your local MP? What did you tell/ask them? I might do the same but aren’t sure what they could do to help?

• Tamara December 6, 2013, 11:36 PM

I am so glad to have found this site. I had applied for the CDB for my 10 year old child who was diagnosed with ADHD and OCD/Anxieth. After paying our GP $90.00 to fill out the forms, I regret to say she was not approved! I know RCA had sent out an additional letter to the doc requesting more information and the letter was to be sent directly back to them so she did so and we were denied. My question is, should I reapply? I did get the school to write a letter indicating the challenges and learning struggles she faces so do you think that will help? I feel that she should qualify given that some of her OCD symptoms can be quite debilitating at times and she has not responded well to medication.
    Thanks so much for any feedback.

• bigcajunman December 7, 2013, 7:26 AM

Maybe find another doctor? Who did the ADHD and OCD/Anxiety diagnosis? I assume a Psychologist or Psychiatrist? If it was your GP, you might want to try to get a Psychologist to make the diagnosis and get them to fill in the form? It may be the CRA didn’t value your GPs opinion, or maybe it didn’t like how the wording in the letter? (I am only guessing here).

I would say if you can find another Doctor that might help, or maybe call the CRA up and ask if you can talk to someone about the denial. I wish you luck, but don’t give up just yet.

• Tamara December 7, 2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks for your response. I guess that is my next option, I mean she was diagnosed with OCD and ADHD and her condition is severe at times but I know there are a lot of other people worse off. I have also read that there was a time when people were abusing this program and CRA was threatening to collapse the whole program so I do understand the need for their stringent guidelines and criteria. I guess my question would be…do you think my child’s diagnosis qualifies or should I just give up?

• Tamara December 7, 2013, 12:55 PM

Ps. We met with a team of doctors so she was diagnosed by a psychiatrist and psychologist.

• bigcajunman December 7, 2013, 1:21 PM

I wouldn’t “give up” see if there is another way? If the Psychiatrist did the diagnosis, why didn’t he (or she) do the forms for the CRA? As for the diagnosis qualifies, I don’t have the qualifications to comment on that, but maybe you need to talk to the CRA?

• Tamara December 7, 2013, 1:32 PM

The place where she got the diagnosis has a bad reputation for not being that helpful in that respect so I think I’ll go seek a psychologist to fill out the form and resend it. I also have a letter from the school which will also carry some weight in their decision, I’m sure.
          Thanks so much.

• bigcajunman December 7, 2013, 1:35 PM

Don’t “Give Up” is the only advice I can give right now. Sounds like you are going in the right direction, keep me posted.

• Merza December 3, 2013, 8:51 PM

I submitted T2201 form and it is approved by CRA.
    Now they asked me to submit new T2201.
    Also, CRA also asked me to write A request letter to adjust previous tax years.
    Also, CRA asked for a written request for the years 2008-2012 for CDB(child Disability Benefit); Please guide me how to write these two requests letters.

• bigcajunman December 4, 2013, 5:43 AM

They would like to give you more money, I think, so the letters are not very complicated. Include your Social Insurance Number, the T2201, your child’s Social Insurance Number, your address in the header, and state what you want.

As I said in the post:

The letter we included was quite simple, and if I can find the example, I will make it available on this site, however, it was a simple statement of my son’s birth date, the fact that his diagnosis of Autism is a neurological disorder and that it was present as of birth.

• Merza December 5, 2013, 8:12 PM

Thank you for quick and detailed response.

• MomtoBW November 6, 2013, 7:24 AM

This has been very informative…but my turn for a question that I don’t see asked/answered. *Apologies if I simply missed it! :)
    I sent in my T2201 end of July and just received a letter this week indicating that my 15yo has been approved for the DTC for the years 2003-2013. On the CRA site it shows this also. I see there has been a reassessment on my CCTB (to include the CDB), but only back to July 2011. In the letter I received, it says that if I want the CDB benefit for 2003-2011 that I need to send in a written request. Is that normal? Nothing indicates that I need to fill out the RC66 so I just typed up a letter and sent it out asking for the CDB for 2003-2011.
    I also understand that there are 3 instalments when the retroactive payments are processed, but I’m confused. One of them so the reassessment on the CCTB to include the CDB (which I see will be deposited Nov 20) *mine only being for the last 2 years. I understand another instalment is the results of my taxes being reassessed with the DTC applied for the last 10 years. I requested that be done in a letter when I sent the T2201 in July, but don’t see any indication of a payment coming. Any thoughts on that? And what is the 3rd instalment for? I don’t see anything regarding that either.
    Sorry for the long message – appreciate any feed back!!
    ~ Living one day at a time ~

• bigcajunman November 6, 2013, 8:02 AM

If you didn’t ask for it in your initial request, I suppose.

I would also call the CRA or whoever you sent your letter to and ask these questions, they usually have a “help” line that should help you out. As for if the payment is just slow? It could be, but I wouldn’t assume that, go and find out (i.e. call and ask).

• MomtoBW November 6, 2013, 8:22 AM

I asked for my taxes to be reassessed to reflect the CDB for the previous 10 years. You would think that would be sufficient. Sigh…
        So regarding receiving 3 instalments – any feedback on what those are? CDB payment, tax reassessment, and ??

• bigcajunman November 6, 2013, 10:21 AM

My guess is they may send the CDB payment in two parts? I seem to remember a number of different cheques showing up, or maybe it’s a “here is some free money for being a good person” cheque? (sorry bad humor there). I seem to remember the CDB back payments came in two parts (age 0-2 and 2-5 ?).

• delahus November 5, 2013, 1:22 PM

Hello
    My son has suffered severe emotional anxiety and depression most of his life. Most recently being a teen and being hospitalized for suicidal attempts. I have had him in counselling all of his life due to emotional/behavioural issues. Unfortunately, due to limited income he has only seen counsellors when he was little. In grade 1 the school wanted to have him assessed for adhd but his counsellor said no because he would be labelled and be given a harder time in school. My son was very smart when he was young, so she did not think he had add/adhd. So I never had him assessed. After being hospitalized and school becoming an issue more and more as he got older the psychologist recomended that his phyciatrist start him on add meds to help with school. The psychologist that he recently saw has said he SHOULD have been diagnosed as a child and probably has been add since he was a child which is why I had so many behavoural/emotional issues with him all his life. He was continually suspended in grade 1. Then when middle school started the depression and anxiety started and the grades started to fall because of his inability to focus.
    If my son has just been diagnosed NOW with ADD, he is 17 and diagnosed officially in 2009 with major depression. Can the ADD diagnosis be backdated somehow? They say, looking back that he was ADD all along but just not diagnosed. The CRA said they can go back to when the problem started and they have a “cumulative effect”
    Who should fill out this form? My family dr just put Has has ADD since childhood on the form along with his depression date of 2009. And didn’t fill out the cumulative part. But CRA said to put the ADD on there even though he was just diagnosed even though his problems started in childhood. Can anyone help with this situation. Feeling very sad that I did not believe and get my son the help he needed for his ADD long ago :(

• bigcajunman November 5, 2013, 2:55 PM

Get the family Dr. to fill it in correctly, or find a Clinical Psychologist or Psychiatrist to do it (if you are in a large Metro area, see one of the Children’s hospitals since your son is still younger (I think)). The ADD diagnosis should be helpful, so get a Doctor to back date it, is the right idea (i.e. you are right), not sure about the backdating, but the Psychologist or Psychiatrist might be able to do it (I don’t know about ADD as much, my exposure has been on the Autism spectrum side of things). As I have said the view on Autism is it is a brain stem injury from birth, really not sure about the ADD diagnosis (but find someone who can answer that question to your satisfaction).

As for the feelings that you have somehow failed your child, stop that! You are doing the best you can, no one gives us a manual as parents, and we all learn along the way, and kids with special needs luckily get special parents too, so keep working hard, you are working hard for your son (don’t convince yourself otherwise).

• Delahus November 6, 2013, 11:24 PM

Thank you for that. The important thing is that the medication he recently started seems to be helping him with his school work and in turn helping his depression and anxiety.

My son is about to turn 18 and the discussion about ADD happened in family counselling last year with a short term psychologist after he was released from the hospital for depression. He has only been seeing his psychiatrist for the last few years. But the family dr seems to think I shouldn’t apply for the CDTC. The family physician has known some of his problems regarding depression and hospitalization but not all of his behavior and anxiety issues since he was a young child. That is when I continually had him in counselling thinking it was just a behavioral issue.
        I think I will ask that his psychiatrist fill out the form as he is the one treating him for it. He is also the dr that got the info from the psychologist that he has ADD and has had it his whole life, hence the reason for all the behavioral issues I had with him his whole life.

• bigcajunman November 7, 2013, 5:41 AM

Sounds like a plan, good luck with your journey.

• Michelle November 2, 2013, 1:32 AM

My daughter was approved for the DTC from 2009 to 2014 for a different issue. Last February she was diagnosed with severe Autism. Our Dr filled out the DTC forms and we sent them in. In Sept she was approved from 2007(her year of birth). We sent in a letter requesting the retroactive payments and I was checking online on my account and it said they were processing her information then this past Friday that part was no longer there and it doesn’t show whether we will be receiving the retroactive payments or not. Can they reject not giving the retro active payments?

• bigcajunman November 2, 2013, 7:32 AM

I can’t see how (but again, this is my opinion only). It may be that they have simply completed things and are preparing to send you your grants. In our case the explanation we got (from CHEO) is that Autism is viewed as a Brain Stem injury from birth, so if they have approved the diagnosis, it seems natural they would make it retroactive, but again if this does not happen, continue to fight for it (but I am optimistic it is just the system grinding along slowly). Good luck, keep me posted.

• lily creeley October 24, 2013, 7:01 PM

My grandson was approved for the Disability Tax credit and the letter from CRA says it goes back to the year he was born. My son would like to apply for the CDB retroactive to 2006, but we don’t know what to write in the letter. Can you post a sample letter? It would be much appreciated.

• bigcajunman October 25, 2013, 7:07 AM

I will check with Mrs. C., but I would have thought the CDB “request” is done as part of the CRA letter, but let me check ( want to make sure I get this right ).

• bigcajunman October 25, 2013, 7:08 AM

Oh and CONGRATS on getting approved (not sure that is the correct way to put it, but I am glad to hear your grandson will be getting some financial help).

• bigcajunman October 25, 2013, 8:00 AM

So if the CRA has back dated things, it should cause the CDB to be “reassessed” as well (at least that is what happened to us), but you might want to follow up with the CRA on that one to be sure (or Services Canada).

• lily creeley November 26, 2013, 10:55 PM

Hi again. I thought maybe you could give me some advice regarding the CDB. As stated earlier my grandson was approved for the disability tax credit, however my son was denied retro pay for my grandson because they say he wasn’t in receipt of the CTB for the years 2006-10. My son and his partner separated in 2010 and he has custody of the children. Well as everyone knows mothers are the usual recipients of the CTB as per Rev Canada. Do you think an appeal would be successful?

• bigcajunman November 27, 2013, 5:32 AM

It might be, but you are out of my depth on this one. Not sure what the legal implications are on this, perhaps your son’s EX should be the one applying for it?

• Pam October 22, 2013, 10:28 AM

A letter has been sent to my Doctor requesting more information, is this normal do you know or has any other parent on here gone through the same thing? Thanks for any info!! :)

• bigcajunman October 22, 2013, 2:04 PM

This can happen , it is the CRA looking for specific info, your doctor needs to be clear. Yes I have heard of this , the CRA is not satisfied with the initial letter, but are giving the doctor a chance to clarify.

• Pam September 26, 2013, 8:34 AM

My doctor filled out my papers this week and I sent them in, all he wrote was: borderline mentally challenged, developmentally delayed and questionable autism spectrum disorder (or something like that) … do you think it will be denied?

• bigcajunman September 26, 2013, 10:15 AM

Can’t say for sure, it is up to the CRA to decide, hopefully your Doctor filled it in to their (the CRA) satisfaction. If this attempt “fails” not sure about retrying, but you could ask the CRA why they turned down the application, and see what they say.

• Pam September 26, 2013, 10:21 AM

he also put Social and behavioral issues … it is so hard to find info on here with or talk to people who have applied in the past.

• bigcajunman September 26, 2013, 2:31 PM

As I have mentioned, we were very lucky in the CHEO (Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario) guided us through it, and the Psychologist who did the form for the CRA knew what important things to highlight.

• Austin September 13, 2013, 12:27 AM

Are permanent residents eligible?

• bigcajunman September 13, 2013, 7:06 AM

If you pay Income Tax, I would have thought so, but that is only my guess, you can call the CRA help line 1-800-267-6999 to get the official answer.

• just me September 7, 2013, 2:24 AM

my son has just been diagnosed with autism but the center he was seen at told me there are no resources or anything else they can do for us but it seems like other families dealing with this have found help im frustrated that these people seem unwilling to help me how do i get started the center he was diagnosed at gave us an appt for next year and my son turns five in Jan!

• bigcajunman September 7, 2013, 8:16 AM

You need to get your disability benefit set up right away, and remember you need to get it “back dated” to the day he was born as well, that is where you start. Follow the instructions above, but find a Doctor or Psychologist who has done it before to help you if you need (in Ottawa CHEO is very helpful, in other cities the Children’s hospitals should have resources to help with this part of things). This will take time, but you must start now.

Find other parents, there are support groups for parents and sometimes that is where you will learn more about how to get resources to help your son with his journey.

Don’t panic, remain calm, you have now been appointed his Advocate and you are his Voice to get what he will need, it will seem at times too much, too hard, or even impossible, but you can do it (what is more, you will do it).

On Facebook check out Autism Awareness as a group. https://www.facebook.com/AutismAwarenessPage

Good luck on your journey, keep me posted.

• Lea Dettman March 8, 2013, 8:28 AM

Update: I haven’t forgotten that I was going to keep you update on my son’s reapplication of CCTB. It was sent out on Jan. 26th and I haven’t heard anything back yet. I’m considering phoning to see the progress. If I wait till the 20th to see if it gets direct deposited and it doesn’t, I have to wait till after the 25th to inquire.

• bigcajunman March 8, 2013, 8:58 AM

Not to be apologetic for the CRA, but it is a kind of busy time of the year too, maybe give them another month? I suppose calling really doesn’t hurt, but you are going to wait a while on the phone too.

• Lea Dettman March 8, 2013, 9:41 AM

Must be my lucky day then, I got through on my first call and payments will be in full with retro on March 20th. Have a good weekend!

• bigcajunman March 8, 2013, 10:24 AM

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC!!! Good to hear! I didn’t want to get your hopes up, I have dealt with the CRA and government enough that their response may not be quick.

• Lea Dettman March 8, 2013, 11:00 AM

I was definitely surprised and very relieved! The man who helped me was great too, didn’t rush me, even did a break down of the CTB, looked into my account, glanced over my 2012 income tax and asked if I had any other questions or concerns. Oh yea he told me that my Disability tax credit thing was in fine standing as well. Gotta like that!

• bigcajunman March 8, 2013, 11:02 AM

Good to hear! I have never really had any issues with the CRA folks I have dealt with, they have been helpful and told me when they didn’t know something and usually called me back. Good on “The Tax Man” for having good folks on the phones.

• Doug June 19, 2013, 4:06 PM

Hey, I’m glad I found your blog. Where exactly did you send your letter to? My son is only 2 years old and has Austim, we have been accepted for CCTB, (we’ve already had the T2201 and RC66 forms filled and sent), but now I would like to try to see if I can get some retro pay from his birth date. We are in a very long wait list and are paying everything out of pocket for speech therapy, and everything else.

If you can please reply back to me, that would be great. And if you could provide the template letter, that would be perfect.

• Lindsey January 28, 2013, 7:23 PM

Wow, after reading this I’m hesitant to send in my application for the DTC. The doctor who completed our form noted “markedly restricted” for mental functions & speaking, but under “Effects of Impairment” he only wrote “impaired social & academic function”. He assured us the diagnosis of ASD, Bipolar & social anxiety would be enough. We’re exhausted from the fight we had to endure just to get the diagnosis’ and survive regular daily life (we have 7 kids, 4 at home – 3 with disabilities). I don’t need an emotional roller coaster ride that ends in a rejection letter.

• bigcajunman January 28, 2013, 8:03 PM

I wouldn’t NOT send it in, just remember that sometimes the CRA says no. Maybe ask the Doctor if he (or she) has done this before and whether it was successful. I didn’t mean to stop anyone, just be careful and make sure the forms are well filled in.

• Jamie January 29, 2013, 1:43 PM

my form was sent in 4 months ago and the doctor only marked markedly restricted on mental functions with his diagnosis of autism. The only effects he listed were speech delay and impaired mental function and i was approved within a month and money sent out one month later. I think its worth a try if he filled in everything he was supposed to.

• bigcajunman January 29, 2013, 2:39 PM

Good to hear your success! Yup, I think it never hurts to send it in, but if you get a NO, don’t give up either.

• Sherri January 29, 2013, 3:13 PM

Thanks so much for sharing. I tracked down extra supporting paperwork & once I get a few more points down in my letter I will send it in and will post an update when we hear. Thanks again, there’s a lot of great tips and advice on this blog!

• Lindsey November 29, 2013, 12:43 PM

UPDATE: I finally braved it and sent in my form with an honest & open letter about our experience with our child and after about 6 weeks we’ve been APPROVED!! Thanks for the helpful advice and the extra push to apply. For a family struggling to support an amazing child and give her the best chance for a full life, this is the best Christmas gift ever!

• bigcajunman November 29, 2013, 1:02 PM

EXCELLENT!!! that is the kind of comment and news I love to read. Enjoy your Christmas and let’s hope for a good coming year.

• Lea Dettman January 29, 2013, 7:49 PM

Don’t give up Lindsey. As Sherrie mentioned in her post, she’s getting some extra paperwork together along with a letter. It doesn’t hurt to have your point of view on your child’s disorders/disabilities, or even write about a day in the life of your child stating their challenges. Even if you could get a letter from a speech therapist or teacher, they don’ t ask for it but it certainly can’t hurt. With my first application, 10 yrs ago, the doctor was straight and to the point, didn’t really elaborate and we were approved. I wish you luck!
      All the best to your family.

• Lea Dettman January 21, 2013, 2:03 PM

Did you get your CDB this past Friday (18th) I only rec’d the Child Tax Credit portion. Someone else my mother knows didn’t receive their’s either, and like me no notice of why… My son who has autism has been receiving it for about 10 or 11 yrs. Nothing so far written over at the government site. Tried calling CRA but they won’t let you get through until the 25th… just curious if it was a computer glitch or what?

• bigcajunman January 21, 2013, 2:19 PM

A check arrived, but I will check with Mrs. BCM on whether she heard about changes. Stay tuned.

• Lea Dettman January 21, 2013, 4:19 PM

Thanks for checking. I found out why. I have to remind myself to read all of the CCTB and OCB notice next time it comes. Apparently my son’s Disability Tax Credit Certificate forms have expired. I read above that the same is for your son. So off I go to print out the forms.
        Thanks!

• bigcajunman January 21, 2013, 4:44 PM

Good luck and keep me posted on your status!

• Lea Dettman January 27, 2013, 8:16 AM

Thank you! As of Wednesday, papers were dropped off at the doctor’s office. Will let you know the outcome.

• bigcajunman January 27, 2013, 8:32 AM

Excellent, yes please keep me appraised! Good luck too, you deserve a financial break.

• LifeInsuranceCanada.com January 21, 2013, 9:25 AM

An outstanding post. Figuring out gov’t benefits for those with disabled children is a huge hole in consumer’s knowledge, there seems to be very little info on it. You should write an ebook on it – like Mike’s RESP book.

• bigcajunman January 21, 2013, 10:56 AM

I may do that depending on how many posts I string together on this topic. I’ll have to share the byline with Mrs. C8j on that but it is being thought of.

• The Blunt Bean Counter January 21, 2013, 7:45 AM

BCM, well done. Dare I say you sound and write like an accountant :)

You make a very important point. If someone was not aware of the disability claim and/or process, the CRA will often let you go back and re-file, sometimes for as many as 10 years for the disability claim.

P.S.- I watched the first season of Sons of Anarchy, instead of the Leafs game. Told you I would protest this year.

• bigcajunman January 21, 2013, 8:35 AM

Well as protest for the Football I watched Cars 2 with my son! Yes, it is important to remember that you can back date the diagnosis and take advantage of rebates, in some situations.

The reason it is organized is Mrs. C8j edit’ed it (a great deal).