For the Remembrance Day week, there was much to reflect on. We live in a great Country (Canada) and are lucky for those who have fought for us and those in our Armed Forces today. Thank You.
I was also excited to see that the Ottawa Public Library has updated their “Stone Knives and Bearskins” interface and are now testing a brand new interface which I like a great deal (and you can find me on their as bigcajunman as well). Try it out and tell the folks what you think of it.
From the Past Week
- We Must Remember is an important message every year, and every day too.
- Lead us not into Temptation is always important to remember, especially with money.
- Less Employed in October 2009 8.6% Unemployed employment numbers always vacillate.
- Random Thoughts: Flip, Flop and Flu; remember when H1N1 was just a set of numbers and letters?
From the Financial Blogosphere
Given the N.C.F.B.A. met this week, I always feel a level of rejuvenation in my blog, and also a level of confusion, given some of the topics that are discussed by some of the members are well over my head financially. I listen and attempt to learn as much as I can, and then go and read about the topics more (so for me it’s like going to a seminar on high-level finance ideas).
- Michael James wrote about Veterans’ Pensions and just how little we pay permanently disabled soldiers and members of the military (shockingly low, but might be tax free).
- Speaking of disabilities the Canadian Capitalist wrote about The Sad Story of Nortel LTD Beneficiaries which is another scandalous issue. These folks are going to lose their benefits (or already have lost them), because of how Nortel ran their program. Read the posting, and then ask yourself how your company does Long Term Disability benefits.
- Soon to be Television Personality Preet at WhereDoesAllMyMoneyGo put up a useful video on What is a Mutual Fund for those wanting to learn more about how that investment vehicle works. Preet will hopefully soon be seen on the W Network on a weekly basis, stay tuned.
- Larry MacDonald (who promises to write a follow up one day of his successful book Nortel: Telecomm Empire) writes a useful posting on the Quotable Guide to Passive Investing where he gives you some quips from some very good books about passive investing.
- Gail Vaz-Oxlade tells you 8 Reasons Why You Don’t Save right on target as usual (wish she wasn’t sometimes).
- Promod at Riscario Insider write about Three Reasons Why Financial Literacy Eludes Us again, wish he wasn’t right.
Have a great weekend all, remember it’s time to put your Snow Tires on!