Holy Cow! (to quote Harry Caray) the curse of the billy goat that was on the Chicago Cubs, has finally been broken (yea curses broken), and I am glad to see it. I remember the ’69 Cubs with Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo and crew making a run for the playoffs and then getting it all derailed by the Miracle Mets (yes, I am very old), so I was happy to see the Cubbies finally winning it all. It seems to be giving new hope to Blue Team fans as well.
Some think that Doomsday may be much closer after the Tuesday elections in the United States. For the record the Doomsday clock stands at 3 minutes to Midnight, so there isn’t much more wiggle room here, in terms of “the big boom”. Let us hope cooler heads prevail, and whatever happens on Tuesday, it doesn’t create the “Biblical Apocalypse” that some have promised. In other good news, the new Russian Satan II Missile can’t wipe out Texas or the UK as previously advertised (well, not just 1 of them). Reading that helped me sleep better (sarcasm).
Evidently there is no such concept as a “No Fault Divorce From Europe”, as the UK PM is finding out. Should be interesting to see where this winding road of interesting quandaries leads.
My Writings for Week Ending November 4th
What Do Investors Complain About the Most ?Inappropriate investing strategies seems to be a big one (like having a 75-year-old retiree investing in a tech start up?), according to the IIROC. Worth reading, but I suspect that is only the tip of the iceberg, in terms of complaints.
A Money Tweet
What happens when Preet meets up with the Blunt Bean Counter? Why don’t you listen in to find out?
— ⚡️Preet Banerjee (@preetbanerjee) November 2, 2016
Maybe Bartman Can Go to a Game Too ?
Steve Bartman is the other curse that was on the Cubbies, maybe he’ll throw out the first pitch next season?
- You know things are more expensive on the left coast, but this is ridiculous, This San Francisco Janitor Made More Than $270,000 Last Year, wow, I’d mop floors for that much pay!
- Are you thinking of becoming a Dividend investor? Frugal Trader wants to help with Top 16 Canadian Dividend Growth Stocks for 2016
- Was it fate that the Cubs won game 7? Hogwash, says a mathematician (OK, he says fate is hogwash, but you get the drift of it). Maybe Fate is a valid investing method?
- Marie from Boomer and Echo wants to know, What’s In Your Professionally Managed Portfolio? If you can’t answer that question, you need to go and find out (and maybe find out why your portfolio is investing in those areas, as well).
- I like the look of the Tesla House, with its solar roof and battery system. I am confident Government’s will find a way to stop this from happening.
- Making Financial Decisions? Beware of Confirmation Bias, writes Tom Drake, don’t just look for things that agree with your decisions.
- With the holiday season coming and Amazon offering “Free Delivery”, do you think that there really is free shipping ? Think again….
- Mark from My Own Advisor won’t want free delivery, as he is embracing his Inner Minimalist, do you have too much stuff? I do.
- The level of Irony in the latest stories about the alleged “HIV/Aids Patient Zero” (which was actually “HIV/Aids Patient O (the letter O)”, shows that sometimes you need to check your facts before vilifying someone in the press and media.
- Want The simple, straightforward, and nearly foolproof approach to investing ? Read here, however, remember it is written in a Vanguard Blog (so caveat emptor as well).
- For those who live in Canada and have a smart phone, the following falls under the “Captain Obvious” section, Spotlight turns to data caps, as CRTC study reveals skyrocketing data usage along with price increases.
- Michael James examines an interesting article on Faulty Investment Assumptions , but whose faulty assumptions are they? Read on and find out.
A Fun Tweet to End the Season
Old Harry Caray thanks to our friends at Budweiser
— Budweiser (@Budweiser) November 3, 2016
2016 Random Thoughts
- January 7th, Market Meltdown, TFSA, WildCard Weekend and #MoneyStories
- January 14th, Cheap Oil, Cheap Dollar, Dead Folk, and #MoneyStories
- January 21st, Loose Money, High Household Debt, Weak Loons and #MoneyStories
- January 29th, Doomsday Clocks, Rogue RRSP Receipts, Cash Crops and #MoneyStories
- February 4th Bouncing Loonies, RRSP Season, Superb Owls and #MoneyStories
- February 12th Lent is Here, Bricked iPhones, Love Day and #MoneyStories
- February 19th Digging Out, Ransomware, RRSP Time and #MoneyStories
- February 26th RRSP Time and #MoneyStories
- March 4th Welcome Americans and #MoneyStories
- March 11th Bank Rate Stays Put, Spring Forward and #MoneyStories
- March 18th Financial March Madness, Budgets and #MoneyStories
- March 25th, Easter is Here and some #MoneyStories
- April 1, Money Fools, Ronnie, and #MoneyStories
- April 8, Tax Time, Spring Delayed, Panama Papers and #MoneyStories
- April 15,Loose Money, Free Stuff, Hockey and #MoneyStories
- April 22,Disabilities, Tax Time, The Queen and #MoneyStories
- April 29,Pitter Patter Tax Time, RESPs are For Rich Folk and #MoneyStories
- May 6, Fort Mac, Mothers and #MoneyTalk
- May 13, Panama Papers, Google & PayDay Loans, Full Moons and #MoneyTalk
- May 20, Victoria Day, The People’s Elbow, Haircuts and #MoneyTalk
- May 27, Loose Money and #MoneyTalk
- June 3, CRA Itunes Pmts, RESP Scams and #MoneyTalk
- June 10, Portal to Hell Opens in Ottawa, BoC FSR and #MoneyTalk
- June 17, Fathers Day, Trump Housing Bubble, and #MoneyTalk
- June 24, Brexit, Fete National, Enhanced CPP and #MoneyTalk
- July 1, Happy Canada Day and Best Mid-Year Financial Stories
- July 8, Brexit Market Mayhem, Millenial Bashing and #MoneyTalk
- July 15,Brexit Hurts, Loose Money, Postal Strikes, Recounts and #Moneytalks
- July 22,More Pensions, New CTC, and #MoneyTalk
- July 31, Unknown Long Weekend, Windows 10 and #MoneyTalk
- August 5, The Olympics, Topless Spelunkers, and #MoneyTalk
- August 12, Women Rule, Less Jobs and #MoneyTalk
- August 19, Obnoxious 30 Year Old Retirees, Olympics and #MoneyTalk
- August 26,Farewell, EpiPens, Ombudsman Report and #MoneyTalk
- September 9,iPhone 7, High Tuition, Loose Money & #MoneyTalk
- September 16, Unemployment Up, On the Money, Debt and #MoneyTalk
- September 23, Rate Rises, Winter is Coming, Access Neutrality and #MoneyTalk
- September 30, Bye Bye CSBs, 36 Million Strong and #Moneytalk
- October 7, Thanksgiving, Knuckleheads, Debt & the Buddha & #Moneytalk
- October 14, Henson Trusts, RDSP Gripes and #MoneyTalk
- October 21, RDSP , New Mortgage Rules Hurts Economy and #MoneyTalk
- October 28, Overvalued Housing, EU Trade Deal, Overcharging Banks & Scary #MoneyTalk
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off-color commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest , Flipboard, Instagram and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.