Well, I don’t have all the facts, but there are going to be tax breaks this year for we the common folk of Canada. The ones I know about so far are:
- $400.00 Recreation tax Credit for Parents of kids in “sports” (although what the definition of a sport is, remains to be seen). For me, with two daughters playing competitive basketball, that should count, I hope.
- My Basic Personal exemption has increased from 8839 last year to $8929
- My equivalent to married exemption increased from $7505 to $7581
- All tax brackets have slid upwards too
- 22 per cent bracket begins at $37,178 up $800 from last year
- 26 per cent bracket begins at $74,357 up $601 from last year
- 29 per cent bracket begins at $120,887 up $2600 from last year
- The CPP and EI exemptions have dropped I believe as well, but my pay cheques drop for the start of the year, as I start having to pay those premiums again (boo).
Yup, it’s a good thing when my taxes drop, but, I am sure my property taxes from Ottawa will go up, so that is not a good thing.