Where might you find me this weekend? Surprisingly, I will be at #CPFC16 with a bunch of other Financial Writers, Bloggers, and Industry Folk talking MoneyTalk (and Mortgage Hikes). It is always interesting to put faces to writings (as I am sure it is for a lot of folks when they meet me). Hoping to touch base with many friends (note I didn’t say old) and make a few new ones as well.
Black Friday is coming next week, with American Thanksgiving on the 24th. What does this mean? For Canadians, not as much as it used to mean, if you can find any deals, you will be lucky. I wandered around Best Buy and they are ready for an influx on Black Friday, but the deals don’t make me want to squander my money just yet.
I note the sun has been rising these days, so the world has not quite ended with Mr. Trump’s election, but it is a much more interesting world (and that is an understatement). One interesting theory I keep hearing is that Mr. Trump is purposely trying to get impeached or thrown out, we shall see if that is a valid theory.
Sounds like Amazon may be extending their Video Streaming capabilities to Canada soon (if you believe tweets by Jeremy Clarkson). Another competitor for Netflix? Not likely, but you never know.
Yes, the Banks are upping their Mortgage rates, as I predicted (6 years ago)! Now might be a good time to lock in for a while, given it might give you a bit more peace of mind? The Bank of Canada hasn’t changed anything yet, but this might be a harbinger of some kind? Bank of Canada will remain quiet until December 7th on the topic of Interest Rates.
My Writings for Week Ending November 18th
After having a lunch with some prominent financial folk (aka the N.C.F.B.A.) I was inspired and wrote two articles this week. It was sad to read about the death of Leonard Cohen, but I also remembered his financial issues, so I joined the two with Leonard Cohen a Cautionary Retirement Story. Are you sure your retirement savings is safe? I would go check just in case.
The American elections now has reached the blame game and with that, folks are suddenly realizing how simple it is to manipulate Social Media (I know how to, I simply, choose not to), however I outline some things in Fake Money News and other Manipulations. What I forgot to mention was the authors of these less than truthful stories also make money from you coming to their unscrupulous sites too! To quote Yakov Smirnoff, America, what a country!
A Money Thought
I actually stole this one from Crazy Ideas on Reddit, and it seems to have been well received. I would watch those documentaries as well. How do you submit ideas to Netflix ?
— Big Cajun Man (aw) (@bigcajunman) November 15, 2016
The Week of the Long Knives in MoneyTalk
Lots of backroom shenanigans going on South of the Border, glad to see Mr. Trump is bringing a new perspective to Politics (by turning it into a Reality TV Show). The name not to mention in Trump Towers is Cris Christie. Mark (the recent immigrant from the US gives us some Trump Ruminations to help you understand things too).
- Dave’s not here man… is what the Stock Market said about certain Canadian Marijuana growing companies stock on Tuesday. Read more in ‘The valuations are really stupid’: Marijuana stocks spike trip circuit breakers, temporarily halted. Is now the time to invest in Pot? or Doritos?
- Mark from My Own Advisor dives into the discussions about where the economy is going with the new President Elect, with his article How I will invest with Trump in office, and surprisingly he did not fall back on my favorite expression, “We will invest like porcupines make love, slowly and very carefully”.
- Legalized gambling has always been a bad idea in my book (having a bad impulse control myself), so when the Atlantic wrote about How Casinos Enable Gambling Addicts, I wasn’t surprised (but I was still disappointed).
- Mark from Blunt Bean Counter jumps off the advice wagon, and instead reviews a book, The Nest (about inheritances, so not too far off topic for Mark).
- What could Airlines possibly put a tariff on? How about overhead bin usage? Yes, United Airlines is thinking about doing this with their cheaper fairs. I love how glamorous air travel has become.
- Ellen Roseman (who I hope to say hi to this weekend), writes about the cluster flop that is the Air Miles fiasco in, MORE TURBULENCE FOR AIR MILES. They act like they don’t give a crap about their customers, but maybe that is the case?
- I was happy to see that Dungeons and Dragons how been added to the gaming hall of fame. I spent many an hour playing that (in the mid-70’s when it was all about the game!). Yes, I am a very old geek.
- Curious how an ATM card skimmer works? Click on this Tweet, and there is a very helpful diagram (that will make your stomach turn, showing how simple it is).
- Are you curious to find where you (your conscious self) is? Spoiler Alert: the rostral dorsolateral pontine tegmentum, but you probably already knew that one.
- Michael James seems to be having fun poking at some sensitive topics like, Making Arguments with Made-Up Data. His points are great, but you must read the comments, they are even more entertaining to see the back and forth downright arguing that goes on there. I think MJ enjoys a good discussion, so go on in, and comment, I dare you.
CMHC Premiums, Say What?
Preet over at his growing Money School Youtube Channel (which I hear may turn into a Netflix series (because that is what happens to successful Youtube Channels)) did a good piece on how to figure out your CMHC premiums, which is topical these days.
If You Are Invited to a “Party”
It used to be friends would invite me to a “party” and when I got there I’d realize it was an Amway recruitment thing, listen to Mr. Oliver’s view on things.
2016 Random Thoughts
- January 7th, Market Meltdown, TFSA, WildCard Weekend and #MoneyStories
- January 14th, Cheap Oil, Cheap Dollar, Dead Folk, and #MoneyStories
- January 21st, Loose Money, High Household Debt, Weak Loons and #MoneyStories
- January 29th, Doomsday Clocks, Rogue RRSP Receipts, Cash Crops and #MoneyStories
- February 4th Bouncing Loonies, RRSP Season, Superb Owls and #MoneyStories
- February 12th Lent is Here, Bricked iPhones, Love Day and #MoneyStories
- February 19th Digging Out, Ransomware, RRSP Time and #MoneyStories
- February 26th RRSP Time and #MoneyStories
- March 4th Welcome Americans and #MoneyStories
- March 11th Bank Rate Stays Put, Spring Forward and #MoneyStories
- March 18th Financial March Madness, Budgets and #MoneyStories
- March 25th, Easter is Here and some #MoneyStories
- April 1, Money Fools, Ronnie, and #MoneyStories
- April 8, Tax Time, Spring Delayed, Panama Papers and #MoneyStories
- April 15,Loose Money, Free Stuff, Hockey and #MoneyStories
- April 22,Disabilities, Tax Time, The Queen and #MoneyStories
- April 29,Pitter Patter Tax Time, RESPs are For Rich Folk and #MoneyStories
- May 6, Fort Mac, Mothers and #MoneyTalk
- May 13, Panama Papers, Google & PayDay Loans, Full Moons and #MoneyTalk
- May 20, Victoria Day, The People’s Elbow, Haircuts and #MoneyTalk
- May 27, Loose Money and #MoneyTalk
- June 3, CRA Itunes Pmts, RESP Scams and #MoneyTalk
- June 10, Portal to Hell Opens in Ottawa, BoC FSR and #MoneyTalk
- June 17, Fathers Day, Trump Housing Bubble, and #MoneyTalk
- June 24, Brexit, Fete National, Enhanced CPP and #MoneyTalk
- July 1, Happy Canada Day and Best Mid-Year Financial Stories
- July 8, Brexit Market Mayhem, Millenial Bashing and #MoneyTalk
- July 15,Brexit Hurts, Loose Money, Postal Strikes, Recounts and #Moneytalks
- July 22,More Pensions, New CTC, and #MoneyTalk
- July 31, Unknown Long Weekend, Windows 10 and #MoneyTalk
- August 5, The Olympics, Topless Spelunkers, and #MoneyTalk
- August 12, Women Rule, Less Jobs and #MoneyTalk
- August 19, Obnoxious 30 Year Old Retirees, Olympics and #MoneyTalk
- August 26,Farewell, EpiPens, Ombudsman Report and #MoneyTalk
- September 9,iPhone 7, High Tuition, Loose Money & #MoneyTalk
- September 16, Unemployment Up, On the Money, Debt and #MoneyTalk
- September 23, Rate Rises, Winter is Coming, Access Neutrality and #MoneyTalk
- September 30, Bye Bye CSBs, 36 Million Strong and #Moneytalk
- October 7, Thanksgiving, Knuckleheads, Debt & the Buddha & #Moneytalk
- October 14, Henson Trusts, RDSP Gripes and #MoneyTalk
- October 21, RDSP , New Mortgage Rules Hurts Economy and #MoneyTalk
- October 28, Overvalued Housing, EU Trade Deal, Overcharging Banks & Scary #MoneyTalk
- November 4, Curses Broken, Doomsday, and #MoneyTalk
- November 10, Grating America, Shocking Mornings, Making Debt Great Again and #MoneyTalk
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off-color commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest , Flipboard, Instagram and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.