At the start of the year I actually published a Stock Picking post about what to buy this year. It was mostly me being snarky about stock picking done by other bloggers, but I started to think I should continue to eat my own dog food, and figure out what my stock picks did, in terms of return.
|Loss or Gain||0.00%||-1.37%|
Losing about 1.4% is nothing to brag about, but, given the volatility of the market it isn’t too bad either. My guess is this could be a volatile year. We shall see what the summer does my stock picking prowess.
It is Friday the 13th today, it must be true that someone has done something odd financially today, because of this date. If you have, shame on you!
I was intrigued by a statement I saw on Reddit, that the RBC will no longer allow you to buy Crypto Currency with their credit cards. The statement doesn’t give a reason, and simply does the Canadian thing, and apologizes for the inconvenience. I am a big fan of brevity, but that is astoundingly terse for that kind of decision. My guess is they just don’t trust the Crypto-currency marketplaces enough to allow their credit vehicles to be used there. If I can’t use credit cards to buy cryptocurrency how do I pay for it? Gold (Au)? Cash? Other cryptocurrencies? Intriguing.
In other financial news I threw up in my mouth when I read Mackenzie fined for excessive promotional spending. The money spent is your Management Fees, and that is where that extra money goes? I still feel nauseous . Your retirement money is giving folks iPads? Wow.
My Recent Writings
What is a Serial Refinancer ? You know someone like this, they keep building up credit card debt, then either getting consolidation loans or adding it to their HELOC or worse their mortgage. This is serial murder for your finances.
I don’t think folks understand that with investing, when you sell is more important than what you buy. I attempt to elaborate on that with 2 Key Investment Strategies. Being a Millionaire “on paper” means nothing, until you have the money in your hands, you are not a millionaire.
Micro Blogging on Finance
More women are filing for bankruptcy, is this a win for women? Truth of the matter is, I don’t think so, but there is a podcast to talk about that one this weekend.
Our #bankruptcy study revealed more women are filing insolvency. To discuss why this is happening, we have guests @GailVazOxlade, @squawkfox, and @alison_petrie3 w/ co-host @sharonhoyes on this Saturday's podcast! Subscribe so you don't miss it: https://t.co/WlupwSpVii
— Hoyes Michalos (@HoyesMichalos) April 5, 2018
Spring in Ottawa means any weather is possible and will happen, unfortunately, as we batten down for yet another interesting weekend of snow. Here are some great financial stories to help you pass the time. I’d rather be snow drop picking,or even stock picking (and not snow shoveling).
- Kerry from Squawkfox does a lot for her readers, and she made the ultimate sacrifice for, I went to a Real Estate Bitcoin Wealth Expo so you don’t have to. Her live tweets from the event were the highlight for my weekend. Can we say rampant upselling?
- OMG it is Tax Season, and with that the Blunt Bean Counter pips his head up from under a stack of tax receipts to bring us, Confessions of a Tax Season Accountant – Late T-slips and Reporting the Sale of Your Principal Residence . He saw his shadow so only 3 more weeks of Tax Season!!!
- Glad to see the City of Ottawa is making moves to curb spread of payday loan outlets. Nothing concrete yet, but having there not be one on every street corner in the downtown, might be a nice start.
- On the topic of stock picking Robb from Boomer & Echo bring us, Investing In Retirement: How Much Money Should You Keep In Stocks? Also which stocks, and when to sell would be good too!
- Engadget tells us about another interesting FinTech wrinkle, PayPal to launch debit cards and traditional banking services. Will Paypal become your day-to-day bank? I don’t think so, but it might take away more business from traditional banks.
- The PIAC is acting for you to help with out of control Telecomm & Internet providers. Consumer Advocacy Group Calls CRTC to Investigate Increasing Telecom Complaints, outlines some of the steps they are taking on your behalf.
- Michael James gives us a way to save money on money exchanges to foreign currencies with, Updated Currency Exchange Method at BMO InvestorLine. An interesting idea, for those that live in both the US Dollar world and the Canadian Dollar World.
So a Mercedes owner in Mississauga took his car in for service the other day, and was not pleased with what transpired. I need to install my car camera this weekend I think.
The New 2018 Random Thoughts
- RDSP, Easter, Thanks Rusty and #MoneyTalk (March 29th)
- Facebook, Spring is here and #MoneyTalk (March 23rd)
- Still Financially Crazy after 13 Years (March 16th)
- Steady Interest Rates, Spring Forward and #MoneyTalk (March 8th)
- Budgets, Phoenix Death, Inflation and #MoneyTalk (March 2nd)
- Potholes, Tuition Increases, and #MoneyTalk (February 23rd)
- RRSP, Lent, Happy Year of the Dog and #MoneyTalk (February 16th)
- Roller Coaster Markets , Olympics and #Moneytalk (February 9th)
- Superb Owls, RDSP Deposit and #MoneyTalk (February 2nd)
- OHIP Overload, Doomsday minus 2 minutes, and #MoneyTalk (January 26th)
- Tighter Money, Best Investment, Go North! and #MoneyTalk (January 19th)
- Paper Delivery, Bitcoin and #MoneyTalk (January 12th)
- Polar Vortexes, Minimum Wage and #MoneyTalk (January 4th)
My RSS feed is available.