Good Friday is a day of reflection. Why is it called Good Friday? (click here to find out) It is a day of endings, but of new beginnings too. If you need a milestone to start new behaviours Easter is actually better than the New Year. In the Christian perspective Easter is the New Year.
The old problem? We still have COVID, and all the associated issues. Vaccines are now deploying, but not as fast as they should. Businesses are failing, jobs are being lost and people are dying. Amazing what you get used to, I suppose. I have not been jabbed yet, even though I am over 60, but that may happen soon? Given all the vaccinations going on, why are the numbers so bad today? People are people.
How about Bitcoin? I keep getting asked about it because I am a Technology Geek and I write this, and my answer is simple, what? I have always viewed Bitcoin as currency (at best), and I have shied away from Currency Arbitrage whenever I could. I am not investing directly in Bitcoin, although the Index Funds I hold might do something with it. What about other Cryptocurrencies? What about XRP ? It is actually being used as a currency, but no one really talks about that. Axios (on HBO) episode 6 season 4 does a segment on XRP, very interesting. There are many cryptocurrencies out there.
Tax Time is here! I have already submitted my return and got my refund. I have also realized I may not have claimed something and may need to send an update. Tax Time is a wonderful time of year, so go get it done.
The good new is the Suez Canal has been cleared, so shipping can start again. The better news is the number of Memes that are created because of it. See farther down for only a few of these classics.
COVID19 Data Canada
Click here to find an up to date graphic from the Government of Canada
So, haven’t done one of these in a long while. I am reworking some of my older articles, and attempting to start writing a bit more often. Maybe I’ll try to become an #Influencer? ðŸ’©
- CPP and EI for 2021, never mess with a winning topic. The deduction allowances have changed and here is where you can read about it!
- Quick Financial Thoughts just a few financial ideas to read about.
- A Mortgage Changes You no matter what anyone tells you. You either learn to be fiscally responsible, or you lose your home.
- Chutzpah in Job Interviews a rewrite from before I got laid off, when I was interviewed by an interesting chap. I assume he was well intentioned, but still, don’t use a term when you can’t pronounce it correctly. Also, never correct someone interviewing you either.
- The One Thing That Helped me Get a Job is back when I was hunting for a job and the things I learned about how to find a job.
- Paying Off Debt is Risky ? An odd comment on Instagram (when I was trying to become an influencer) caused me to erupt here.
- My CRA Error ERR.021 what happens when the CRA gets advice about possibly hacked accounts? The hilarity that follows, is astounding.
- RDSP Grant Entitlement Statement 2021 for another year we can put $1000 into our son’s RDSP.
- How do You do your Taxes? A rewrite of an older commentary on doing your taxes.
- Property Tax Alternative idea? Property taxes are becoming more and more expensive and it is mostly due to the sky-rocketing prices of homes in major Canadian cities.
- Advice for New Grads? Another rewrite of some notes I made for an interview, for a magazine, that no longer exists.
Easter, a time to rebuild and restart?
As I have said many times, Easter is a great time to restart things. How about those resolutions you made on January 1st?
- Kara Duckworth from Kiplinger write Help! Iâ€™m Afraid to Retire, Even Though I Can Afford to , which rings true with me. Everyone seems hell bent on retiring the FIRE world, but are you really sure you want to? I can retire, but I am not retiring for many reasons, one is, I have no idea what I am going to do.
- Sarah Pulliam Bailey wrote in The Washington Post Preachers and their $5,000 sneakers: Why one man started an Instagram account showing churchesâ€™ wealth, and as a religious person, I am displeased with what she exposes. The Church, Christianity and Religion in general seems to be a very big business, which is the opposite of what I think it should be.
- When an article opens with, “David Berry was making $15 million a year when Scotia Capital fired him.“, you want to read about the sheer greed and avarice that drives our financial systems. The Traders’ Revenge? What job should pay $15M? Not someone trading paper, in my opinion.
- How Much Savings Do You Need to Delay Starting CPP and OAS Pensions? A question Michael James discusses, as usual it depends on your circumstances.
- Are there No Stupid Investing Questions ? Robb from Boomer and Echo takes on a few of those for you.
Sobering Message From Preet B.
Rick Mercer’s Nasty View on Taxes
I don’t think there is a more descriptive video for Tax Time than this Rick Mercer classic.
That looks Stuck
Hoyes Nails It
Canada is #1 But Maybe Not For a Good Thing
Enjoy the Festival of Easter!
- Financial Parables for Good Friday some things to think about on Good Friday.
- Good Friday: Some Random Thoughts more messages for Good Friday.
- Good Friday is another view on Good Friday
- Good Friday, COVID continues, XRP, Tax Time and #MoneyTalk was a Good Friday during COVID.
- Good Friday Edition: Best of Top 5 Investing Regrets was back when I got lazy and reposted the same content.
- Good Friday is a view from 2012 of the start of the Easter festival.
- Ladies on Panels, Good Friday, Friendly Skies, Loose Money and #MoneyTalk was one of my conglomeration posts and a mention of Good Friday.
- Another Good Friday post from 2014
- It is finished is the sentiments for Good Friday, with the hope of new beginnings.