Air Miles has finally capitulated and will not expire 5-year-old miles starting on January 1st, which is a victory for consumer advocacy folks like Ellen Roseman and Robb Engen who have fought this decision very hard. Is this the end of this whole thing in the news? Maybe not, as folks are now complaining that they spent their miles quickly when they heard of the initial decision and are now upset they didn’t have a chance to keep accumulating points.
Advent has begun so you can now put up all your decorations are garlands and the like, but so many of you already had stuff up Mid-November didn’t you? At least try to follow the Church’s calendar for that stuff.
Whenever something is in the news, it brings out the scum, as we are now seeing with the Phoenix payment system that the federal government has tried to get running for a while. Luckily I have had no issues, but some folks are not getting paid, while others are being overpaid, and that is where the story starts to get interesting. There are folks evidently calling Civil Servants and saying they are from the Phoenix pay system and they want their money back (only, no one is doing that right now evidently). These scammers are trying to make some quick dough off a flawed government system.
My Writings for Week Ending December 2nd
A simple little bit of writing for me this week with Debt is a Four Letter word. I was positive I had already written that exact story, however, after I heard our friend Preet B. use it, I went into my archives and found that I had not written something with that exact title. I have said there is <a id=CanajunFin’ href=”https://www.canajunfinances.com/2012/07/26/good-debt-not-bloody-likely/” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>no such thing as good debt, but not that Debt is an obscenity.
A Money Thought
I think Kerry sums up the whole Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc., sales thing nicely in this one tweet
— Kerry K. Taylor (@squawkfox) November 28, 2016
Advent has Arrived
Surely that means, end of year planning, and reporting is about to start? At least you don’t have to madly splurge those Air Miles (if you kept them, that is).
- Not sure if this is going to be based in PEI or not, however, The Canadian Couch Potato Podcast is Here, and surprisingly very low carb as well.
- Given it is nearly the end of the year the Blunt Bean Counter brings us Tax Loss Selling (or for 2016 – Tax Gain Selling?), I don’t have enough money in non-registered accounts to worry about this, and I am far too busy planning my Air Miles splurge.
- Only in Ottawa do you get to hear phrases like “… smuggled gold pucks in his rectum…” when describing theft at the Royal Mint
- Found an interesting new blog (Ellen Roseman aimed me at it), had a very interesting article on Index Investing Do You Yawn When You Hear Index Funds? Think Again.
- Interesting move by South Korea, South Korea to kill the coin in path towards ‘cashless society’, bold move.
- Mark from My Own Advisor was chatting about his article, There is no need to save. I have credit. I have a pension. Wrong., at CPFC16. I astounds me what people think when they are privileged enough to have a pension, but when their financial advisors say even stupider things, holy crap!
- Michael James jumped in on the Air Miles fiasco before the resolution in place, with Loyalty Points Battles
What is Investing?
Preet B’s financial education channel (which you should subscribe to), has a new video about Learning about investing.
2016 Random Thoughts
- January 7th, Market Meltdown, TFSA, WildCard Weekend and #MoneyStories
- January 14th, Cheap Oil, Cheap Dollar, Dead Folk, and #MoneyStories
- January 21st, Loose Money, High Household Debt, Weak Loons and #MoneyStories
- January 29th, Doomsday Clocks, Rogue RRSP Receipts, Cash Crops and #MoneyStories
- February 4th Bouncing Loonies, RRSP Season, Superb Owls and #MoneyStories
- February 12th Lent is Here, Bricked iPhones, Love Day and #MoneyStories
- February 19th Digging Out, Ransomware, RRSP Time and #MoneyStories
- February 26th RRSP Time and #MoneyStories
- March 4th Welcome Americans and #MoneyStories
- March 11th Bank Rate Stays Put, Spring Forward and #MoneyStories
- March 18th Financial March Madness, Budgets and #MoneyStories
- March 25th, Easter is Here and some #MoneyStories
- April 1, Money Fools, Ronnie, and #MoneyStories
- April 8, Tax Time, Spring Delayed, Panama Papers and #MoneyStories
- April 15,Loose Money, Free Stuff, Hockey and #MoneyStories
- April 22,Disabilities, Tax Time, The Queen and #MoneyStories
- April 29,Pitter Patter Tax Time, RESPs are For Rich Folk and #MoneyStories
- May 6, Fort Mac, Mothers and #MoneyTalk
- May 13, Panama Papers, Google & PayDay Loans, Full Moons and #MoneyTalk
- May 20, Victoria Day, The Peopleís Elbow, Haircuts and #MoneyTalk
- May 27, Loose Money and #MoneyTalk
- June 3, CRA Itunes Pmts, RESP Scams and #MoneyTalk
- June 10, Portal to Hell Opens in Ottawa, BoC FSR and #MoneyTalk
- June 17, Fathers Day, Trump Housing Bubble, and #MoneyTalk
- June 24, Brexit, Fete National, Enhanced CPP and #MoneyTalk
- July 1, Happy Canada Day and Best Mid-Year Financial Stories
- July 8, Brexit Market Mayhem, Millenial Bashing and #MoneyTalk
- July 15,Brexit Hurts, Loose Money, Postal Strikes, Recounts and #Moneytalks
- July 22,More Pensions, New CTC, and #MoneyTalk
- July 31, Unknown Long Weekend, Windows 10 and #MoneyTalk
- August 5, The Olympics, Topless Spelunkers, and #MoneyTalk
- August 12, Women Rule, Less Jobs and #MoneyTalk
- August 19, Obnoxious 30 Year Old Retirees, Olympics and #MoneyTalk
- August 26,Farewell, EpiPens, Ombudsman Report and #MoneyTalk
- September 9,iPhone 7, High Tuition, Loose Money & #MoneyTalk
- September 16, Unemployment Up, On the Money, Debt and #MoneyTalk
- September 23, Rate Rises, Winter is Coming, Access Neutrality and #MoneyTalk
- September 30, Bye Bye CSBs, 36 Million Strong and #Moneytalk
- October 7, Thanksgiving, Knuckleheads, Debt & the Buddha & #Moneytalk
- October 14, Henson Trusts, RDSP Gripes and #MoneyTalk
- October 21, RDSP , New Mortgage Rules Hurts Economy and #MoneyTalk
- October 28, Overvalued Housing, EU Trade Deal, Overcharging Banks & Scary #MoneyTalk
- November 4, Curses Broken, Doomsday, and #MoneyTalk
- November 10, Grating America, Shocking Mornings, Making Debt Great Again and #MoneyTalk
- November 17, CPFC16, Black Friday, Mortgage Hikes and #MoneyTalk
- November 24, Black Friday is Here, Exciting Tax Calculations and MoneyTalk
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off-color commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest , Flipboard, Instagram and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, donít forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.