Well, wasn’t that exciting on Wednesday? The NYSE (arguably one of the most important stock exchanges in the world) is shut down due to a computer glitch? Seems I have read something like this before in Debt of Honor (by Tom Clancy)? Maybe not, but that was the first thing I thought of when I heard the NYSE was shut down.
The fact that the Wall Street Journal and United Airlines both had issues as well, makes you scratch your head a little as well, doesn’t it? Were there any strange stock prices entered on Wednesday (Read the novel for that reference).
So Greece decided they didn’t like the EU terms for their bail out and are making up their own deal? This stuff just writes itself, amazing. I plan on sending TD my terms on how I will not pay much back on my Mortgage as well, see how that works for me.
American banks seem to think that Canuckstan, I mean Canada, is in a recession. Our latest finance minister disagrees and just says, “… it’s a flesh wound, nothing to worry about…”, but it remains to be seen who is right and who is wrong here.
Speaking of teetering stock markets, China’s latest Stock Market foray seems to be close to a great fall as well? Not a great week in the investing world I suppose.
My Writings for Week Ending July 10th
A lazy week for me, actually, a very busy week as we prepare for a wedding this week, may not be too much next week we shall see if any Frays or Boultons are at the wedding (Game of Thrones reference) :
- I was amazed when I saw the numbers from the Bank of Canada about Canadian borrowing habits, which made me query Do Canadians Borrow For Wealth ?
- There is no chance this wedding on the weekend will be a Loveless, Sexless Marriage as described by Preet (on the CBC).
- The advice given out at this wedding will not include, You Should Divorce Your Wife (and oldie but a goody from me).
- If you are interested in security and technology, the sister publication from this site had Post Blow Things Up Day and Best of Technology and Security This Week, Windows 10 is helping Windows 7 penetration?
- To end the list let me first say thanks to all the financial bloggers out there that I have met (either in person or on line) I may not voice my appreciation, but you are all amazing, and if you asked What are Financial Bloggers Good For? I’d reply, plenty! They are good people.
Speaking of security don’t fall for the latest IM scam:
Wonder what Glitch Actually Means and Other Financial Fun
Mark from the Blunt Bean Counter is going to work on his golf game this summer (not a bad idea for him), but we will miss his commentaries and helpful hints (absolutely a Credit to all Financial Bloggers). Barry from Money We Have asks a simple but very complex question, Do Same Sex Couples Face Unique Financial Challenges ? The answer in my mind is yes and no, but read Barry’s article, it is an interesting read.
Credit Card Balance Protection Insurance
Preet returns with another sage piece of advice (and no mention of Airport bathrooms either).
2015 Random Thoughts
- January 2nd Random Thoughts on 2014, Welcome to MMXV and #BestOf
- January 9th Frigid Temps, Plunging Oil, Paris and #BestThisWeek
- January 16th Canadian Economy on the Edge, Frigid Temps and #BestThisWeek
- January 23rd Looser Money, Plummeting Loons and #BestThisWeek
- January 30th CLBs, Weak Loons, Tax Time, Superb Owls and #BestThisWeek
- February 6th Superb Decisions, Gas Going Up, Rugby and #BestThisWeek
- February 13th RRSPs, Valentines, 50 Shades of Debt and #BestOfThisWeek
- February 20th Lent Begins, Freezing Temps, Apples and RRSP and #BestOfThisWeek
- February 27th RRSPs, Saint David, Right Arm and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 6th Illness, K-Cups, Interest Rates and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 13th March Madness, Taxes, Friday the 13th and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 20th Spring has Sprung, Ten Years, The Madness and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 27th Death of EPost, More Madness, and #BestMoneyStories
- April 10th Senators, Retiring Rich and #BestMoneyStories
- April 17th Playoffs, Tax Time, Beer tax and #BestMoneyStories
- April 24th RRIF Allowances, Bursary Changes, Budgets and #BestMoneyStories
- May 1st Tax Extensions, Golf Season, Bank Fees, May Day and #BestMoneyStories
- May 8th Alberta Valium, Mother’s Day, Che Guevara, Pay Day Loans and #BestMoneyStories
- May 15th Starbucks, Monty Burns and #BestMoneyStories
- May 22nd Coach Money, CPP Up 18 pct, Losing $15B and #BestMoneyStories
- May 29th Easy Money, Better Cell Deals, Dirty Football and #BestMoneyStories
- June 5th Starbucks, Hacked Government Folk and #BestMoneyStories
- June 12th Voldemort for PM, HSBC Cuts 50K, Hockey Talk and #BestMoneyStories
- June 19th Aeroplan Student Loans, Dad’s Day, Kill CSBs and #BestMoneyStories
- June 26th Summer is Here, Canada Day, Christmas and #BestMoneyStories
- July 3rd 2 Day Work Weeks, 4th of July, Greece, and #BestMoneyStories
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest , Flipboard, Instagram and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.