For my regular readers, I am so lazy swamped over the holidays that I am taking some time off and putting up a “Best of” anthology until the New Year (January 4th, to be exact). Enjoy two Best of posts a day over the Holidays, and have yourself a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Well, that was a blur. The toys, the noise and excitement and then the Boxing Day sales that will now go on for the next four months, isn’t capitalism a wonderful thing? For most of us, we get Monday off as “Boxing Day,” but fear not good reader, I still have my shovel out digging up old “nuggets” from the past year.
The Most Hideous
I opened my Ottawa Citizen on Saturday, and I saw this picture, and I felt a combination of disgust, anger, and lurid curiosity.
Boxing Day: Just Because it’s on sale
That doesn’t mean you have to buy it!
This mantra you should be repeating to yourself as you walk through the Boxing Day sales.
Car or Bus?
That is one of the big questions I have to think about given my new appointment.
There was no reason to take the bus in my previous job because:Â …….
All the Volumes
- Holiday Cheer: Volume 1 Sneaky Problems
- Holiday Cheer Volume 2: New Grads Read On
- Holiday Cheer Volume 3: Holy Crap itâ€™s Christmas Eve!!!
- Holiday Cheer Volume 4: Happy Boxing Day
- Holiday Cheer Volume 5: Almost Over
- Holiday Cheer Volume 6: Taboos
- Holiday Cheer Volume 7: 2009 Ends
Christmas Wishes from the Past
I seem to do this a lot, so here are my Christmas wishes from years gone by:
- Christmas 2022 was after a rough year for many folks including me. Inflation, COVID, and dealing with losing family members was a bit much really.
- Merry Christmas 2021 was another COVID crisis time. Omicron hit and Christmas became much more closed up. Maybe the last one of these, but we thought that last year.
- Merry Christmas 2020 ! Do you see the pussy cat in the tree? An odd year with a Pandemic and all. Make sure you pop those Christmas Crackers.
- Christmas All Year Round ? Yes, it does feel like that these days doesn’t it? The 12 Days of Christmas Debt ? What the heck ? That isn’t Christmasy at all!
- Merry Christmas 2017 ! That was a year of fun videos that I found to help celebrate the holiday. Love that old CFCF fill.
- Merry Christmas, Highspeed Internet a right, Inflation at 1.2 and #MoneyTalk 2016 ! Sheesh, I couldn’t even be bothered to send a message that year, how Grinchy.
- Merry Christmas 2014 ! A lovely quote from the King James bible for that year. Seem to have done nothing for 2015. This year I even had a Christmas Eve post.
- Happy Christmas 2013 ! I loved the photos of every years Christmas Tree, very festive. Another Christmas Eve post too.
- Merry Christmas 2012 ! You see the hideous curtains we had in the den back then. That year we had the $150 Christmas challenge too.
- Merry Christmas 2011 ! The tree moved back to the front room and I used Google Translate to create a festive message. Think I was on French training that year. Also At Christmas Why Not Just Give Cash ?
- Merry Christmas 2010 has some very deep philosophical commentary in it. Must have been hitting the Christmas cheer early. Christmas Eve that year must have been a Friday.
- Merry Christmas 2009 and all you got was an NFB short? Not that bad really. There was also Christmas Eve thoughts too.
- Merry Christmas 2008 ! That was the year of the infamous Financial Advent Calendar too.
- A few last Yuletide Thoughts was what I had in 2007.
- Merry Christmas 2006 ! A quieter year I suppose.
- Whatever little money you have, make sure you spend it was my first year writing here. Quite gruff and grinchy.
- Advent, it begins again, is when the Christmas season begins