The world is again left scratching its head and asking, “Why?”, after ISIS attacked Paris. Honestly I have no idea of why this would be done, but as a wise man has pointed out, follow the money, and you will see the reason why.
One of my most fond memories of #Paris is running around the Musée du Louvre snapping photos with a friend (in front of all the famous paintings and exhibits) and then wandering into a lovely restaurant with a McDonald’s shake in my hand (all to drive our boss nuts, who was complaining about how tourists in Paris only went to the Louvre and ate at McDonald’s). Again, all I can ask is Why?
Black Friday began at the start of November, but for those purists out there the actual Black Friday is next Friday (the 27th of November). Traditionally that was the day that pushed stores “to the black” (or into a profitable stance), however it is now yet another excuse to entice folks to spend money.
Financial Literacy month continues as well, have you learned something new about your finances today?
My Writings for Week Ending November 20th
It is truly the dark days of November here in Ottawa, but there were two new posts this week:
- Cheques, Cameras and Banking Apps I rehashed some of my security concerns with Wi Fi in general and banking applications in specific on your smart phones or tablets, however, if you try to be secure these apps will mean less visits to your brick and mortar banks, but be careful with post-dated cheques.
- If you are a customer of Rogers, do you realize Your Rogers VIP Points will be Worthless Soon ? Not that they were that great a thing in the first place, but you had better use them quickly, as they soon will be worthless.
- From the archives remember that in Banking Everything is Negotiable, however, that does not guarantee you are going to get a better deal, just that you can always ask for one and see what happens (remember the answer is always NO unless you ask).
Facebook Post of the Week
Do you remember Y2K and all the craze about how the world was going to come to an end? Here are a bunch of other interesting computer bugs that you might not have known about.
Black Friday Preparations Continue
I am pretty sure that accountants and estate planners really need Marriage counselling courses as Mark from Blunt Bean Counter continues his “family estate planning” series Blended Families are Twice the Estate Planning Fun…What, No Marriage Contract? Marriage Contracts are always a flash point for folks planning weddings.
Barry from Money we have asks an important asks are there Reasons to Use Your Emergency Fund ? There must be, or we would all have them. You might make a mistake figuring out whether you should use your Emergency Fund, however, Mark from My Own Advisor didn’t list that in his soul-searching article, Major Money Mistakes, where he outlines his money blunders. If you look in the comments you will see mine as well, but you can also read about them in my Major Investing Mistakes article too. If you want to minimize your mistakes, follow Robb from Boomer and Echo’s advice with Get A Handle On Your Expenses: Simplify And Save. If you really want to stop the blunders or recover from them, and Million Dollar Journey wants to help with How to Save More Money with Less Effort, and you should cut the fat, from the fattiest part of your spending (read it and you’ll get it).
Friend of this site Kerry from Squawkfox uses her foray into gourmet olives to motivate us to track our spending. I am not a big fan of Olives (the texture is just not to my liking), but you would be surprised how Kerry turns this to an important financial discussion. Speaking of Financial Advice, Preet has started a five-part set of articles in Moneysense starting with Measuring the value of financial advice
Black Friday Credit Rewards?
Are you planning on using a Credit Card for your Black Friday purchases, and are hoping to rake in some great rewards? Check out Preet’s white board session about whether you are really being rewarded or not
2015 Random Thoughts
- January 2nd Random Thoughts on 2014, Welcome to MMXV and #BestOf
- January 9th Frigid Temps, Plunging Oil, Paris and #BestThisWeek
- January 16th Canadian Economy on the Edge, Frigid Temps and #BestThisWeek
- January 23rd Looser Money, Plummeting Loons and #BestThisWeek
- January 30th CLBs, Weak Loons, Tax Time, Superb Owls and #BestThisWeek
- February 6th Superb Decisions, Gas Going Up, Rugby and #BestThisWeek
- February 13th RRSPs, Valentines, 50 Shades of Debt and #BestOfThisWeek
- February 20th Lent Begins, Freezing Temps, Apples and RRSP and #BestOfThisWeek
- February 27th RRSPs, Saint David, Right Arm and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 6th Illness, K-Cups, Interest Rates and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 13th March Madness, Taxes, Friday the 13th and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 20th Spring has Sprung, Ten Years, The Madness and #BestOfThisWeek
- March 27th Death of EPost, More Madness, and #BestMoneyStories
- April 10th Senators, Retiring Rich and #BestMoneyStories
- April 17th Playoffs, Tax Time, Beer tax and #BestMoneyStories
- April 24th RRIF Allowances, Bursary Changes, Budgets and #BestMoneyStories
- May 1st Tax Extensions, Golf Season, Bank Fees, May Day and #BestMoneyStories
- May 8th Alberta Valium, Mother’s Day, Che Guevara, Pay Day Loans and #BestMoneyStories
- May 15th Starbucks, Monty Burns and #BestMoneyStories
- May 22nd Coach Money, CPP Up 18 pct, Losing $15B and #BestMoneyStories
- May 29th Easy Money, Better Cell Deals, Dirty Football and #BestMoneyStories
- June 5th Starbucks, Hacked Government Folk and #BestMoneyStories
- June 12th Voldemort for PM, HSBC Cuts 50K, Hockey Talk and #BestMoneyStories
- June 19th Aeroplan Student Loans, Dad’s Day, Kill CSBs and #BestMoneyStories
- June 26th Summer is Here, Canada Day, Christmas and #BestMoneyStories
- July 3rd 2 Day Work Weeks, 4th of July, Greece, and #BestMoneyStories
- July 10th Glitches, Greece, Recessions and #BestMoneyStories
- July 17th Loosest Money, Weddings, Greece and #BestMoneyStories
- July 24th, Family Allowance, Diving Dollar, Access Sharing and #BestMoneyStories
- July 31st, Elections, Heat, Cheap Oil, and #BestMoneyStories
- August 7th, Cheap Gold, Cheap Oil, Weak Dollar, Election Week 1 and #BestMoneyStories
- August 14th, RDSPs, Thrifty NFLers , Election Ho Hum and #BestMoneyStories
- August 21st, Rhinos Return, No Good Debt, Election Banter and #BestMoneyStories
- August 28th, Boom Goes the Markets, Market Cheese, and #BestMoneyStories
- September 4th, Back to School, RESPs, Banks Behaving Badly and #MoneyStories
- September 11th, That Day, I Miss Jack, Easy Money and #MoneyStories
- September 18th, Surplus, What Surplus, NBA Frugality, National Debt and #MoneyStories
- September 25th, The Pope, Autumn, Elections, Volkswagen and #MoneyStories
- October 2nd, An Older Canada, Farewell Max, and #MoneyStories
- October 9th, Turkey Day, Elections and #MoneyStories
- October 16th, CPFC15, Election Day, Jays and #MoneyStories
- October 23rd, Election Reflections, Loose Money and #MoneyStories
- October 30th, Spooky Prices, Falling Back, and #MoneyStories
- November 6th,Financial Literacy, New Cabinet, Hydro One and #MoneyStories
- November 13th,Remembrance, Friday the 13th, Financial Literacy and #MoneyStories
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off color commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest , Flipboard, Instagram and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.