A while ago, Mrs. Caj and I discovered that our upstairs toilet’s wax gasket was not working, and thus it was leaking, so we decided that this was a home repair project we could tackle (we have done it before). We have the Time/Life book of complete home repair, which explains how to fix this problem, so I went off to the Hardware store and picked up two wax ring gaskets (or flanges).
Always Buy Two?
Simple, I know my inability to do anything correctly (when it comes to home repair or improvement) the first time. I usually succeed on the projects I attempt (I don’t try things I know I can’t do), but I usually mess it up the first time, so I have learned the importance of buying backup parts for the project.
This home repair would have cost well over $100 if I could have found a plumber that would have come in on a Sunday, but in the end, it cost me $13 (for both flanges). It also needed to be done, given the toilet is on the second floor of our house, and this kind of leak can really mess up the main floor ceiling and possibly compromise the home’s structural integrity (water damage to trusses). We also replaced the toilet flapper, which caused water to leak, which cost me money (water bill).
My wife and I were also still talking to each other afterwards (occasionally, we quibble in this kind of project).
Advent Financial Calendar Box Day 2
For your Financial Advent Calendar, today’s box has a slip of paper in it:
Day 2: Investigate and open a TFSA account for January 1.
Sort of a Financial Christian Fortune Cookie. Open one for your wife as well!
Personal Finance Advent Calendar
- Day 1: Empty Box
- Day 2: TFSA
- Day 3: A Safety Deposit Box
- Day 4: Whatâ€™s in your Safety Deposit Box?
- Day 5: Your Will in a box
- Day 6: A Credit Card Bill
- Day 7: A Pointing Finger (Points)
- Day 8: A Lamb
- Day 9: Your Childâ€™s Diploma
- Day 10: A Cane
- Day 11: A Home Inventory List
- Day 12: A Bank Passbook
- Day 13 (new) A Puzzle Piece or Day 13: A Pair of Tiny Shoes (budgeting)
- Day 14: A Stock Certificate for ACME Buggy Whips
- Day 15: A Kettle (Charity)
- Day 16: A Coffin
- Day 17: A Scroll of Household Fix Ups
- Day 18: A QR Code -or- Day 18: A Wii Fit
- Day 19: A Library Card
- Day 20: A House Plan
- Day 21: A Feather
- Day 22: DVD of the Shawshank Redemption
- Day 23: A Tuning Fork
- Day 24: A Happy Face