The good news of the week is Master Big C8j (my son) has had the K-wires removed from his elbow/humerus, and is on the mend from his summer elbow destruction. The CHEO parking lot was a zoo thanks to a new enterovirus going around, and the ortho clinic was busy with 90 kids waiting for either a checkup or have their cast changed (or removed). Took a while to get it all done, but the folks at CHEO work hard for their money, I have no complaints, and am glad they are around.
Alibaba (the IPO) is happening today, and I am watching the whole sequence of events with great interest . I think I am prejudice against Chinese investments like this, but part of it is because I honestly have no idea how the Chinese “market” works, and due to this how can I buy into one of their “market leaders”? It’s like asking me who is the best Pakistani Cricketer (not to be derisive about Cricket, my Grandfather loved the game, I just never watched it), I have no idea, because I have no expertise in the area.
I was saddened to read about Rob Ford’s cancer issues. While I have lampooned the man, and his Mayoral run, no one deserves Cancer and I wish him good luck in his fight (I am hoping his fighting spirit works in his favor in this battle).
Apple claims 4 million iPhone 6’s sold in the first 24 hours of sales, which is interesting, since I heard from my sources that the Canadian Apple store was down at 3:00 AM when the sales were supposed to start. Amazing what tech crazes cause normal folks to do, isn’t it? Also interesting to see that the NFC chip in the iphone 6 will only work with Apple Pay (initially).
I remember when Charles De Gaulle while visiting Edinburgh shouted, “Vive L’Écosse! Vive L’Écosse Libre!“, well maybe not, but it seems my kilt wearing brethren from up North voted to stay in the United Kingdom. Speaking as the son of a Welshman, Pob lwc! and thanks for all the new powers that Wales will inherit from this healthy public exchange! As was heard during the campaign, Free Scotland! (from the Scottish)…
My Writings for Week Ending September 19th
It is chilly and the leaves are changing colour here in Ottawa, and all the MP’s are back to do, whatever they do.
- With all of this writing about TFSA limits and such I figured I’d go find out what mine was and do a quick How To Find Your TFSA Limit article, as a public service, it does seem quite easy.
- Every time I get into discussions with Financial Professionals, I keep getting the feeling that Financially It is Never Enough, no matter what you do, you are never safe!
- More help for those parents unsure if they should start an RESP for their one year old RESP : What does $350 look like ? If you haven’t already read, So That is What $50K Looks Like ?
This Week’s Finest
Will Alibaba open the cave of wonders? Scotland will be keeping it’s kilt in the United Kingdom at least.
- You may ask yourself, what won’t the NHL do for money? Evidently putting advertising on player’s sweaters is where the line has been drawn (a $120M line). I love watching European hockey when SKODA plays NIVA or whatever, or when the referees jerseys have a Cow pattern on them for “Drink Swiss Milk”.
- Gail Vaz-Oxlade has a few good takes with This and That: Questions I get All The Time, I have questions for Gail as well, but I am afraid to ask them.
- What is a Registered Disability Savings Plan ? I have outlined a lot of this information in my page on RDSP s .
- Big Investors say Hedge Fund Managers are overpaid, says Bloomberg, in other news, bears poop in the woods, and I hear the Pope is Catholic.
- Barry from Money we Have asks What’s In Your Emergency Fund ? I have Money Market, Bonds and cash in mine, since my Emergency Fund is for stuff that happens right the hell now! I have a longer term “bad things happen” fund that is more diversely invested.
- Since TMZ doesn’t do enough on how much celebrities have in their bank here is 7 Celebrity Net Worths (that might surprise you). Interesting stuff, how many yachts do they need to water ski behind before they say, “I have enough”?
- Our old friend Larry MacDonald returned in the Globe with another Me and My Money segment on a Homemaker and her Investments, interesting stuff.
- Who is Charlie Munger? If you keep hearing about the Wizard of Omaha, you need to know who Charlie Munger is, and here is a Fireside Chat with Him, he is an interesting guy.
- Mark from 2nd Career Search points out that Employment is Picking Up in the US, which is a good thing.
- Haven’t read enough about RESPs yet? The Canadian Capitalist wrote a chestnut about The Basic Rules of Registered Education Savings Plans a while ago, but still well worth reading.
- Marie from Boomer and Echo asks the good question Extended Warranties: Good Deal or Cash Grab, given at Future Shop the sales guy gets a big bonus if you sign up for one, I am leaning towards Cash Grab (but it depends). The extended Warranty I bought on my GM Montana Van saved me a BLOODY FORTUNE in repairs.
- You know that Apple Pay has Paypal worried when they Publish Attack Ads against Apple Pay . I can see where Paypal might be concerned.
- You know who knows a lot about Insurance? Actuaries, and my favorite On-Line Actuarial Blogger is Riscario and he advises to Check Your Insurance Statements for Mistakes!
- You have a limited time to do everything you ever wanted. Now is a good time to start. From this site
- I just finished reading Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons & Dragons and The People Who Play It (Amazon Link) a very entertaining book about Dungeons and Dragons, but now I see that there is a Play about this? Wow…
- For those of you looking for information about Registered Education Savings Plans, you should read my RESP Page which has an index of my writings on the topic. Looking to open an RESP ? How about some free trades to help you get started at Questrade
- Blessed by the Potato brings us an entertaining view on investing with Potato’s Third Law of Finance which seems to be a derivative of Clarke’s 3rd Law.
- If you are a Costco Member (like I am, in Canada) evidently our Amex Cards will no longer be honoured at the store in 2015 according to MSN? #WTF ?
- Are you rich and have foreign assets over $100,000 ? If so the Blunt Bean Counter has some info for you with Form T1135 – Permanent Changes for 2014 and Beyond.
- Michael James goes back into his archives to ask Does the Value Premium Exist? Redux, I don’t know is my simple answer.
- Mark from My Own Advisor looks to be on a campaign to help out the New Investors, and I applaud him for doing so, and this week he continues with DIY Investor Mistakes .
Preet on Television
Yes, Preet , was on the Bottom Line this week on the CBC. He was growing a beard, but he seems to have shaved it off, or was this taped at a different time?!?! Hmmm… TV is an interesting medium.
And Now For Something Completely Different
A hot dog eating contest, with a hamster.
My Twitter feed is where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often!
This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements.
This site is also in the Kindle Blog list,if you are interested.