So the finance ministers met, and there was a thought that they might make changes to CPP. However, the Feds quashed that, fearing that higher CPP rates might derail any recovery that might be going on in Canada. I am not sure where I stand on this, but my Civil Libertarian leanings keep grumbling in my ear about the Government safety net getting a bit too big and comfy. Do we all need protection in our old age? Yes, but at what cost?
Whoever wished for a White Christmas in Ottawa can stop now, OK? Enough is enough! More snow this weekend is the word, oh joy! Global warming, or whatever you want to call it, can stop, please!
Christmas is coming so darn fast we now all look like deer in a Semi’s headlights. I hope you are ready for it and the ensuing orgy of Boxing Day/Week/Month/Quarter sales too. Will you be out spending those Gift Cards you got, or better still, some kind person who gave you some lovely cold hard cash? If it’s cash, you know you are allowed to put that in the bank and think about what you need. There is no rule that you must squander all Christmas money gifts the day after you get them.
My Weekly Recap
My Writings for Week Ending December 20th
Christmas is Coming, the Goose is Getting Fat
The easy answer is not nearly as much as you wish it was.
A lewd and lascivious discussion about talking about money with your kids.
My Mutual Fund is actually being run by Skynet? Oh dear.
Why? I thought we were living in the paperless society?
Swiss Army Knife Section
You do realize that a Swiss Army Knife is an excellent gift (especially one with a corkscrew in it):
- Cliff Stohl (author of one of my favorite Tech Book the Cuckoo’s Egg) wrote a very amusing (now) article about Why the Web Won’t Be Nirvana, he kind of missed the target on this one.
- Merry Christmas to the 40 Million Target Credit Card owners, all your account info and such has been stolen, ho ho ho.
- Mark from the Blunt Bean Counter gets down to my level with Financial Statement Reports for Dummies , and you should be reading those if you invest in specific companies (or work for a company that puts out Financial Statements). It is all there in black and white (it just may be hard to parse).
- Matt from a newly revamped One Million and Beyond points out Bitcoin loses half its value overnight! So that still means it’s a better investment than Blackberry.
- Ever wonder why I choose some topics? All you need to remember is that my marketing plan is purely based on wrestling concepts, hence The Power of a Cheap Pop.
- Gail Vaz-Oxlade talks about Sunk Costs and how we deal with them, it’s a bit depressing really.
- Jane (a frequent commenter) from Solving the Money Puzzle brings us Top Ten Personal Finance Moves (Good And Bad) I Made In 2013 , I love folks who testify about their own mistakes.
- Michael James gives his take on the pension “crisis” with The Third Rail, can the existing pension systems (public and private) currently in place survive? Guess we’ll find out in a while.
- Mark from My Own Advisor goes to a popular topic with me and that is End of Year Financial Planning, which everyone should do to at least figure out whether they are getting ahead or falling behind.
- Still out shopping? Popular Science gives us 10 Smart Science Gifts for Kids (or geeks for that matter).
- I wanted to embed’s Preet’s latest video with Global TV Money Tips for 2014, however the Global web site sucks at letting you do that, so you’ll have to click over to watch it. Oh and there will be an ad you can’t avoid before it as well, Merry Christmas!
Festive Ideas to Help You Out
You had me at Doritos wrapping paper.
Non Financial Bird Video
Does a Russian crow seem to enjoy snowboarding?
Remember, my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed. Please have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off-colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on Reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid).
Don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes) as they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android, iPod Touch and iPad Friendly). Enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list if you are interested.