Even after the Heartbleed Bug issues, your Tax deadline looms on the event horizon, so you should either be finishing things off, or have already filed your taxes with the CRA (they are nice people, but they have deadlines for a reason).
Netflix is about to increase their subscription fees, but are also likely to expand greatly as well. I use the service and I feel I get my money’s worth out of it.
The Ottawa Model Train Expo is this weekend at the Ernst & Young Centre, and yes me and C8j Jr. will be there watching the trains go round and round and round. The one thing that really helped my son talk when he was younger was Thomas the Tank Engine and Model Trains, and we will be there watching all the fancy layouts and enjoying the surroundings. There is a video at the end of this with highlights from last year’s show.
In the videos section at the end of the post I have a very interesting story about how Backup Systems are important, however, the Restoration of those backups is much more important, and how Toy Story 2 almost didn’t happen because of it.
My Writings for Week Ending April 25th
Spring is kind of here, the grass is turning green, and folks are planting new plants, which is nuts because they will just die with all the frost and such. In Ottawa, May 24 weekend is when you should start planting!
Yes, it seems energy may start the Inflationary cycle that we have all worried about for a while. Given gas is at record highs in Ottawa, maybe we will see even higher inflation in April.
After looking at my list of accounts that I have to change passwords for I decided it was time to kill off some of the unneeded accounts, guess where I started?
I am digging the new Pope, and his Easter message had a very good message for those who don’t mind wasting a little money.
How could I obfuscate things more? Read on McDuff (with my apologies to Lewis Carroll) :
- "Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;" while Michael James wrote about The Levels of Personal Financial Competence, it was quite frapulent.
- "All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe." which caused Mark from My Own Advisor to comment about 25 ways to be a cheapass
- "Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!" which is good advice like Barry Choi’s from Money We Have 8 Ways To Save Money On Your Morning Commute
- "Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun, The frumious Bandersnatch!" which sounds very similar to Mark from Blunt Bean Counter’s discussions on Confessions of a Tax Accountant -2014- Week 4
- "He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he sought— " sounding much like Mark from 2nd Career Search’s discussions about Toronto Real Estate in What Do You Get for One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) in Toronto?
- "So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought."
- "And as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame", I do know that Marie’s eyes at Boomer & Echo are not normally aflame but she does help us with 8 Retirement Mistakes To Avoid
- "Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!" speaking of burbling Mr. Money Mustache gives us Frugal yet Fancy Homebrewing – with 30 Seconds of Work
- "One, two! One, two! and through and through The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!" luckily the terrible swift sword of the FDA is at work with Here’s Why The FDA Is Regulating E-Cigarettes from Popular Science (filthy habit still).
- "He left it dead, and with its head He went galumphing back." the Titanic made a galumphing noise I believe thus DSGE: the sinking Titanic of economic methodology from the Physics of finance fits nicely here.
- "And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? Come to my arms, my beamish boy!" and to celebrate here is 10 Breakthrough Technologies of 2014 from the MIT Tech Review.
- "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy." he might chortle even more after seeing this odd photo from Squawkfox on Twitter titled Citrus & Lingerie
- "'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;" and the best way to gimble in the wabe is saving on Bank Fees which Gail Vaz-Oxlade suggests Using Savings to Save on Bank Fees
- "All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe." that whole borogroves thing has got me worried, never borrow money, I have said that before. Yes it’s been an odd week for me, and this just wraps it up nicely.
And now it’s time for the Penguin on your laptop to explode.
- Growing up I ate a lot of spam, fried, with chips and I liked spam, but the amount of Spam Comments on this site is getting ridiculous, this week alone I have had over 2000 spam comments. Even for a spam lover like me, that is a bit much. Oh and my hovercraft is still full of eels.
Toy Story 2 Almost Didn’t Happen?
Yes indeed, this short clip explains that it is important to have a backup of your data, but it is also important to test your system restores as well!
Ottawa Model Train Expo
These are the highlights from the 2013 show
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off-colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on Reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well. If you have social media accounts, don’t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes). As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android, iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list,if you are interested.