Given the two running themes this week have been the leaky plumbing in my house and Advent this should make for a very interesting set of Random Thoughts for the week.
Plumbing for the Week
For those of you who believe this whole thematic premise was a clever writing trick, I give you the hole in my ceiling!
No they are not leaking now, but just to show I am a blogger of integrity and I don’t just make this stuff up. I note Michael James attempted to steal my thematic concept with his post Enbridge TAPS Program Mishap, very cheap, go strong to the hoop, or don’t go at all!
Advent Financial Calendar Box Day 6
Today we open the box on our Advent Financial Calendar and find a Credit Card bill with a very large total and interest charges on it.
That’s a really crappy thing to find in an Advent Calendar, but if you plan on overspending at Christmas (no one does, but it happens) and think you can simply let it slide because you have a “low-interest” credit card, think again. Once you start a rotating debt strategy resolving it is never easy.
Advent and Christmas are for celebrating life and enjoying family and friends, not for putting yourself into debt or worse. Money may not buy happiness but Debt sure doesn’t either.
Around the Financial Blogosphere This Week
This week there were some very interesting posts, here are but a few:
- The Canadian Capitalist updated us on the Sleepy Mini-Portfolio, which I am actually using in one of my investment vehicles, very useful for lazy investors like me.
- Michael James seems to have lost his interest in graphs and has come over to the Dark Side of financial blogging (the Jerry Seinfeld viewpoint), where he asks, Is Half Price Meat Safe ?
- My Money Blog added in the Dilbert One Page Guide to Everything Financial , very entertaining, no mention of half price meat though.
- Larry MacDonald points out the Best Time to Invest is Now, if you have the money.
Personal Finance Advent Calendar
- Day 1: Empty Box
- Day 2: TFSA
- Day 3: A Safety Deposit Box
- Day 4: What’s in your Safety Deposit Box?
- Day 5: Your Will in a box
- Day 6: A Credit Card Bill
- Day 7: A Pointing Finger (Points)
- Day 8: A Lamb
- Day 9: Your Child’s Diploma
- Day 10: A Cane
- Day 11: A Home Inventory List
- Day 12: A Bank Pasbook
- Day 13: A Pair of Tiny Shoes (budgeting)
- Day 14: A Stock Certificate for ACME Buggy Whips
- Day 15: A Kettle (Charity)
- Day 16: A Coffin
- Day 17: A Scroll of Household Fix Ups
- Day 18: A Wii Fit
- Day 19: A Library Card
- Day 20: A House Plan
- Day 21: A Feather
- Day 22: DVD of the Shawshank Redemption
- Day 23: A Tuning Fork
- Day 24: A Happy Face
- Day 25: A Box of Chocolate Loonies