Even after the Heartbleed Bug issues, your Tax deadline looms on the event horizon, so you should either be finishing things off, or have already filed your taxes with the CRA (they are nice people, but they have deadlines for a reason).
Netflix is about to increase their subscription fees, but are also likely to expand greatly as well. I use the service and I feel I get my money’s worth out of it.
The Ottawa Model Train Expo is this weekend at the Ernst & Young Centre, and yes me and C8j Jr. will be there watching the trains go round and round and round. The one thing that really helped my son talk when he was younger was Thomas the Tank Engine and Model Trains, and we will be there watching all the fancy layouts and enjoying the surroundings. There is a video at the end of this with highlights from last year’s show.
In the videos section at the end of the post I have a very interesting story about how Backup Systems are important, however, the Restoration of those backups is much more important, and how Toy Story 2 almost didn’t happen because of it.
My Writings for Week Ending April 25th
Spring is kind of here, the grass is turning green, and folks are planting new plants, which is nuts because they will just die with all the frost and such. In Ottawa, May 24 weekend is when you should start planting!
Yes, it seems energy may start the Inflationary cycle that we have all worried about for a while. Given gas is at record highs in Ottawa, maybe we will see even higher inflation in April.
After looking at my list of accounts that I have to change passwords for I decided it was time to kill off some of the unneeded accounts, guess where I started?
I am digging the new Pope, and his Easter message had a very good message for those who don’t mind wasting a little money.
How could I obfuscate things more? Read on McDuff (with my apologies to Lewis Carroll) :
- "Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;" while Michael James wrote about The Levels of Personal Financial Competence, it was quite frapulent.
- "All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe." which caused Mark from My Own Advisor to comment about 25 ways to be a cheapass
- "Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!" which is good advice like Barry Choi’s from Money We Have 8 Ways To Save Money On Your Morning Commute
- "Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun, The frumious Bandersnatch!" which sounds very similar to Mark from Blunt Bean Counter’s discussions on Confessions of a Tax Accountant -2014- Week 4
- "He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he soughtâ€” " sounding much like Mark from 2nd Career Search’s discussions about Toronto Real Estate in What Do You Get for One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) in Toronto?
- "So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought."
- "And as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame", I do know that Marie’s eyes at Boomer & Echo are not normally aflame but she does help us with 8 Retirement Mistakes To Avoid
- "Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!" speaking of burbling Mr. Money Mustache gives us Frugal yet Fancy Homebrewing â€“ with 30 Seconds of Work
- "One, two! One, two! and through and through The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!" luckily the terrible swift sword of the FDA is at work with Here’s Why The FDA Is Regulating E-Cigarettes from Popular Science (filthy habit still).
- "He left it dead, and with its head He went galumphing back." the Titanic made a galumphing noise I believe thus DSGE: the sinking Titanic of economic methodology from the Physics of finance fits nicely here.
- "And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? Come to my arms, my beamish boy!" and to celebrate here is 10 Breakthrough Technologies of 2014 from the MIT Tech Review.
- "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy." he might chortle even more after seeing this odd photo from Squawkfox on Twitter titled Citrus & Lingerie
- "'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;" and the best way to gimble in the wabe is saving on Bank Fees which Gail Vaz-Oxlade suggests Using Savings to Save on Bank Fees
- "All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe." that whole borogroves thing has got me worried, never borrow money, I have said that before. Yes it’s been an odd week for me, and this just wraps it up nicely.
And now it’s time for the Penguin on your laptop to explode.
- Growing up I ate a lot of spam, fried, with chips and I liked spam, but the amount of Spam Comments on this site is getting ridiculous, this week alone I have had over 2000 spam comments. Even for a spam lover like me, that is a bit much. Oh and my hovercraft is still full of eels.
Toy Story 2 Almost Didn’t Happen?
Yes indeed, this short clip explains that it is important to have a backup of your data, but it is also important to test your system restores as well!
Ottawa Model Train Expo
These are the highlights from the 2013 show
Random Thoughts for 2014
Lots of these kinds of Best of articles in 2014. Here is a list of them.
- Cuba, Rubles, Christmas and #BestThisWeek – getting close to Christmas but Ian McKellen can teach us about impulse control.
- Snow, Christmas, Enhanced and #BestThisWeek talk of more festive ideas, like how to save money at Christmas.
- A Gentleman, Day of Disability, Christmas, Rugby and #BestThisWeek noted the passing of Jean Beliveau and John Oliver’s views on Lotteries.
- Black Friday is Here, Advent, and #BestThisWeek speaks of the blessed Black Friday and associated sales but also includes a Fanfare for the Common Man.
- Lake Effect Snow, Web Cameras, Travel Insurance and #BestThisWeek November brings snow in Toronto, as we see, and other financial ideas.
- Asteroids, Tax Cuts, Lemurs and #BestThisWeek how many times has the Earth almost been hit by an asteroid? Too often to remember.
- Lame Ducks, Financial Literacy, Working for Free and #BestThisWeek lame duck leaders never really get that much done, no matter how they negotiate.
- Happy Halloween, Income Splitting and #BestThisWeek a wonderful financial time of the year is Halloween? Maybe income splitting is a better subject.
- Ottawa We Shall Remember, Bank of Canada and #BestThisWeek after a bad week in Ottawa, with senseless violence.
- Crashing Markets, Ebola, Low Loonie, Cheap Gas and #BestThisWeek even in 2014 the markets were a little volatile.
- Hockey, Turkey, Leaves, Carry On Bags and #theBestFin4TheWeek is it right that the hockey season starts before Thanksgiving?
- Autumn , United Kingdom, Beer Money, and #theBestFin4TheWeek the colours in Ottawa during Autumn are truly spectacular.
- Pins, Alibaba , Apple Pay , Lâ€™Ã‰cosse , and #theBestFin4TheWeek remember when Alibaba the IPO happened, those were heady days.
- Back to School, Tim Burger King, Knee Defenders and #theBestFin4TheWeek will the dutchie ever come back? I can only hope.
- Broken Humerus, Ebola, Anniversaries, Blood and #theBestFin4TheWeek remember when we thought Ebola was going to wipe us out?
- All Stars, Al Stars and the #BestOfFinancialForWeek the world cup was a big thing in 2014 as was Bastille day too.
- Tennis, Racing, Inflation and #BestofFinancial Canada Day is the start of the summer for most Canadians, and financial stories too.
- The Stand, Football Biting, Naughty Banks and #BestofFinancial even in 2014 the banks were misbehaving with shenanigans.
- Elections, Dad’s Day, World Cup, Friday the 13th and #BestofFinancial somehow the Liberals won the 2014 Ontario Provincial Election
- No Rate Hike, Better Performance, Montreal Grand Prix and #Bestof-Financial back in 2014 we were worried about rates, but they were already pretty low.
- Elections, Farewell Knowlton, May Done, and #Bestof-Financial Knowlton Nash was the voice of news for Canada for a while.
- Rain, Budgets, Bloggers Meeting, May Day and #FreeFormFridays When financial bloggers meet what happens?
- Beware the Financial Jabberwock, Netflix Expansion, Model Trains, Backups and #FreeFormFridays a thematically odd article.
- Easter is Here and a Saturday #BestOf for the Weekend a time of renewal, new beginnings in life and financially as well.
- RIP Flaherty, Heartbleed, Tax Time, Quebec Elections and #FreeFormFridays the former finance minister did a lot of good for the economy.
- #Selfies, Quebec Election, Big Joe, Awareness, and #FreeFormFridays would Big Joe Mufferaw have been a good fit for the Redblacks? We’ll never know.