This whole Toronto thing really is just a reality TV show gone off the rails, isn’t it? The three-ring circus that is unfolding in the media (which is loving all of this) would put Barnum & Bailey to shame. It’s almost like Cirque Du Soleil, in that you watch it and you think you know what is supposed to happen, but it just gets more and more bizarre each day.
Prince Charles has turned 65, so he could actually retire if he wanted to, but from what job? He hasn’t made it to King yet, so he can’t actually retire, nor does he really deserve a pension, unless the Prince of Wales gig pays well (hope not, hate to think my ancestors are propping him up financially).Â With all this talk of the Baby Boomers retiring, maybe Prince Charles could be a spokesman for the over 65 crowd? Wonder if he goes to Denny’s for the 4:00 PM Early Bird specials?
My Weekly Recap
My Writings for Week Ending November 15th
I Actually Quoted Garth Turner This Week? WTF?
It’s important on Remembrance Day to show respect to those who have served and paid the ultimate price.
The employment numbers from Stats Canada are better, but the younger generation is still having a hard time finding jobs.
Do you need to send your kid to a private school to get a great education? It depends, but this is where I quoted Garth, how odd.
Well maybe that isn’t completely correct, but it’s a good place to get rid of some of your clutter.
Choice Picks for the Week
It’s cold and dark outside, and I think there are wolves around, must be November in Ottawa:
- Michael James admits to an admiration of Ellen Roseman who always wants us to Fight Back.
- Gail Vaz-Oxlade wants you toÂ Align Your Cash FlowÂ maybe you need to find a fiscal chiropractor ?
- Riscario brings us an interesting perspective from TV about insuranceÂ INSURANCE LESSONS FROM BREAKING BAD (he seems to enjoy capital letters).
- The Blunt Bean Counter brings us Â Tax Loss Selling – 2013 Version , my portfolio is such that tax loss selling doesn’t really matter (but I do have a lot of losses still left from my Nortel stock).
- I Canâ€™t Afford It seems like a simple phrase, which is borrowed from David Chilton, but Robb from Boomer and Echo points out that a lot of folks just haven’t figured this out.
- Mark from My Own Advisor answers aÂ Reader Question â€“ Should I invest directly in the USA outside registered accounts? and the answer is of course, it depends.
- Winner for the oddest title in a while goes to Kerry at Squawkfox: Sometimes you have to Shave the Yak , I kid you not, that is really the title, I will not ruin it for you.
- Dan from Canadian Couch Potato accepts the challenge and finds us theÂ Worst Mutual Fund Ad of the Year?
- Preet not only brings us another video message (see below) he also brings us another Podcast Â Financial Literacy in Schools, Happiness and Money with @Smarter_Money #FLM2013 (Podcast)
Did you get it? It’s pretty very arithmetic in nature:
Hope you are subscribed to Preet’s video channel on Youtube (I guess Preet is part of the problem with all this content he is creating on Youtube, clogging up our data networks?), a Holiday Message for you from the Maven of Money:
Public Service Announcement
In case you have not seen this one yet, remember, “Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike ….”, to follow the Camel’s advice in the movie theater:
Seriously, this guy is starting to grow on me, and it is making me worry:
Remember my RSS feed is available too, and I have added an RSS Comment Feed as well. Have a look at my micro-blog on Twitter, where you can see a whole plethora of good articles and pithy comments by me as well. Twitter feed where I re-tweet many great articles by some of my featured writers (and make the occasional odd or off colour commentary on life (in 140 characters or less)). I am also on reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest and other Social Media sites (look for the BigCajunMan userid) as well.
If you have social media accounts, donâ€™t forget to vote for my posts (see the nifty dashboard on the bottom of each article, where you can cast your votes).As they say in Quebec, vote early and vote often! This site is iPhone Friendly (and Android , iPod Touch and iPad Friendly), enjoy it on the go, in a readable format for the device. If you are reading with an iPhone or Android device, drop me a comment and tell me if this needs any improvements. This site is also in the Kindle Blog list, if you are interested.